CB/HAM Radio in 2007 Tahoe?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rankhornjp

Reaction score
Interested in putting a CB radio in my 2007 Tahoe. Looking for ideas on mounting locations, where to get power, and mounting the antenna so that it looks good. Does anyone have any pics of one mounted?

Thanks

Geauxturbo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Wire diectly to the battery period. That way you wont get alternator interferance.

If you just need something to reach out a few miles, Cobra makes the 75wxst which has all the controls on the handset. It has a hidden transmitter box. So the install will look clean. I always had trouble hearing it in my jeep.

The Uniden pro520xl is a very good afordable unit and its small so you can mount it lots of places. Ive seen them mounted in about every concievable place in jeeps. Even under the seat. I'll probably hang it under the center console of my hoe.

Trying to figure out the antenna location myself. Good ground is a must. If your ground is bad you will burn up the transmitter in the cb. The obvious place is the roof. But parking garages will beat the hell out of it. Thinking rear quarter panel is the place to go. The rear pillar is plastic. They make the ground free antennas that can go on the glass but i dont know if they work well. Probably not. Curious as to what others have done.

My jeep has a 3 ft k40 flex with an adjustable tip for tuning. Coax was cut to fit. My swr is between 1.1 and 1.3 works dang well with the little uniden. Its not peaked since i dont care to talk to the moon. 5 miles is plenty for highway/trail use for my purposes.

OP
OP
R

rankhornjp

Reaction score
I've got several radios, mostly Galaxy and Cobra, just trying to figure out where to mount one without tearing up the Interior. I looked at the "ash tray?" area by it is not deep enough.....

I'm thinking of a mag mount ant. I used to have a K40 mag mount that worked really well and would unscrew from the base when needed for clearance.

Diabology

What's not good?
Reaction score
I have a Cobra in the middle console with dual firestiks on the back.

Not good pics, but you can kinda make out the firestiks.

Attachments

• IMAG0167.jpg
    IMAG0167.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 50
  • IMAG0210.jpg
    IMAG0210.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 56

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bubba6