Can’t find GMT800 pocket flares

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know this topic has been discussed but I’ve been searching and just can’t seem to find the answers that I’m looking for..

Why are there no “pocket” style fender flares for the GMT800? They make them for GMT400 (“obs”) and GMT900 (“nnbs”), but not the 800! Why is that??

A bit of clarification: “pocket” flares is a proprietary name owned by Bushwacker referring to the flares with sunken in “pockets” where rivets are fastened (mostly non-functioning I believe, for looks only). Other brands may refer to this style as “riveted flares” or something like that.

Anyway, I’m wondering if the 2002 Silverado or Avalanche wheel wells and body contours would match my 2002 Tahoe LT. Obviously the Tahoe rear wheel well cuts into the rear door—I’m thinking we could do some custom fiberglass fabrication to make it work. Just wondering which flares would require the least amount of fabricating.

Any insight is much appreciated!

OP
OP
Pilot

Pilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never got a response on this but after LOTS of research, I ordered these:

BF694DBC-7447-4A52-89A4-AC7F05159D96.png

https://www.carid.com/2002-chevy-si...3894.html?parentsubmodel[]=SUBMODEL|Fleetside

As you can see, they’re made for a Silverado. Turns out, most Silverado flares will also fit a Suburban. AFAIK, the body lines for a ‘burban are the same as a Tahoe, just don’t have the rear wheel well cutting into the rear door. Some flares mount with screws inside the wheel well, but these flares bolt onto the outside of the fender with those pocket bolts. This means I can bolt the forward section of the rear flare to the rear door and cut it into two pieces at the door jam (so the rear door can open lol).

I definitely made my own life much more difficult by going with the cut-out style flares, but it’s the look I wanted and I didn’t want to compromise. These flares call for cutting 1.5” off the fender at both the forward and aft section of the rear wheel well, however there’s really only 1” of metal between the wheel well and the rear door. I’m hoping we can cut and fold back most of that metal, and that the flare will flex enough to make up the difference.

I’ll know more this week when the flares arrive. We’ll make them fit one way or another.

Last edited:

MrBalll

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good you're willing to put in work to get what you want. Be sure post up some photos of them once fitted.

OP
OP
Pilot

Pilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Following up on this so folks searching for info regarding "pocket" flares on a Tahoe can find it all in one place.

So the Tahoe is at the body shop and the Bushwacker flares have been mostly fabricated. Instead of enlarging the wheel well (as per the requirement for "cut-out" style flares) they just modified the flare itself. Since they already had to cut the flare at the intersection of the rear door and the body, it was easier just to trim on an angle to make the flares fit the existing wheel well shape, instead of cutting and folding the fender like the flare instructions called for.

There was a good amount of trimming of the flare to get it to sit correctly, but nothing overly difficult. They did have do some fabricating of the plastic to fill in the hole where the flare was cut in half to ensure a nice clean look when you open the door.

I plan to shoot an overview video of all of this once I get it back from the shop, but for now, here are some in progress pics.

IMG_2673.JPG

IMG_2674.JPG

MrBalll

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your truck would be so much better with those wheels and tires you currently have one. :signs8:

They are looking good so far.

mijohnst

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have to be @Pilot, I bought a 2005 Tahoe for my daily driver and have used this board for lots of help. I was browsing around YouTube a few months when I caught all the videos you've done on yours and it took me a whole new direction. I bought a 2001 Tahoe and starting all over again and making it more than just a daily driver. Thanks for all your videos! I've enjoyed watching to see the evolution of yours. I didn't know we were already Board Brothers here. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne