Callaway reliability

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sealandsky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im guessing he is messing w/ tow/haul mode b/c callaway didnt tune the trans. (TCM)
so its much firmer up & down shifts, which is fun ;)

its pretty bland shifting regularly.

as i had mentioned above ... BBP tuning took care of that for me
Correct - the TCM is always trying to achieve about 1,500 RPM and that's the one place the Callaway tuning isn't great. At low RPM's the Supercharger tends to buck and surge as it tteeters on the edge of boost. By keeping the RPM's anywhere over 2,000 (about 2,500 is best) the system is smooth as butter, power is always on-tap and the exhaust sounds great. Tow/Haul delivers so/so results and I use that when I'm lazy. I also understand that tow/haul changes the suspension calibrations to a firmer level so have that added benefit. I would kill for paddle shifters! Please expand on the BBP?

gat0r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BBP = blackbearperformance.com
i provided driving logs to Justin & he took care of ECM &TCM...driving is so much more fun :D
:driver:

no issues w/ taking it to dealer. i just reflash, if they add something.
however the dealer is told by callaway to minimize any updates during service.

& yes, paddle shift would be awesome!

hcvone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Who would want a Callaway, always wanted a Callaway Corvette, but HATE the supercharger sticking thru the hood, so the solution get a Callaway truck. I was looking to replace my 12th Escalade, with another, but when the sticker price went over 100k I looked at other oprions, the truck is used for bad weather only, and sits in the garage most of the summer. So I could get the loaded platinum Escalade for 90k with discount, the 6.2 Tahoe RST was 70k with discount, so I took the 20k and gave it to Callaway, and I could not be more pleased. I wanted a Yukon, but the dealer closest to me offered ZERO DISCOIUNT, and the blacked out grill on the Tahoe looks great. Had the paint corrected and the truck 100% claer plastic wrapped, like my last 7 cars. How will it hold up, I have no idea, got the 5 year 60k extended warranty that can be transfered to the nevt owner. Make sure you get the GM big brakes, or aftermarket big brakes because the truck is really pretty fast and you need to stop too
2019%20Callaway%20Tahoe%201231_zpsh51gdnzy.jpg

gat0r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Callaway offers a BBK (15" 6 pot, all 4 corners) & the dealer can typically install it, if you dont order it from callaway.

hcvone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Callaway offers a BBK (15" 6 pot, all 4 corners) & the dealer can typically install it, if you dont order it from callaway.
Call me cheap but I thought 10k was a little much ($9890.00 installed) I went with the GM big brakes for 2k installed, and why I am SURE the Callaway setup would stop my truck faster, I'm pretty happy with the GM big brakes

gat0r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
they can be had much cheaper w/ a bit of haggling w/ salesman ;)

sealandsky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BBP = blackbearperformance.com
i provided driving logs to Justin & he took care of ECM &TCM...driving is so much more fun :D
:driver:

no issues w/ taking it to dealer. i just reflash, if they add something.
however the dealer is told by callaway to minimize any updates during service.

& yes, paddle shift would be awesome!
From what I can see from online sources, the TCM for the 10 speed transmission is still a bit of an issue for reprogramming.

sealandsky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Call me cheap but I thought 10k was a little much ($9890.00 installed) I went with the GM big brakes for 2k installed, and why I am SURE the Callaway setup would stop my truck faster, I'm pretty happy with the GM big brakes
Yeah, for a "daily driver" I didn't see the value in the Callaway brakes and went with the GM upgrade on the fronts. They are far better than stock and reasonably priced.

Last edited:

sealandsky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2019 Yukon Denali / Callaway and have put about 6,500 miles on it since new. Thus far the only issues with the vehicle are GM electrical (passive locks, center tail light). The Callaway system has been rock solid and is fun to drive. The installation is as "factory" as it can be - very professional and flawless. My only complaint is that Callaway doesn't provide their own "owners manual" so I guess some things you just have to figure out for yourself. Rule #1: Always drive in either tow/haul mode, or manual mode. Driveability is much improved this way. I've adjusted to driving in manual mode 95% of the time.

Follow up post on Driveability: I called Callaway to talk with them about the low RPM, light throttle jerking / bucking my engine was doing (the main reason I was doing most of my driving in manual shift mode) and they informed me that they had a new software for the ECM that would help the issue. I took my vehicle to the dealer and they removed and shipped the ECM to Callaway for new software. Two days later I picked up my Yukon and the issue is 99% gone. I understand the new software was released sometime in mid-2019. If any of you have a Callaway from before that time it's definitely worth a call to Callaway to see if you need the update. While the software is only for the ECM (not TCM) they told me that the ECM does influence the transmission to a certain extent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmax442