Brake light switch problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tazdog10

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 95 Yukon that the brake lights have stopped working. Changed the switch and now the gearshift lockout doesn’t work when pressing the brake pedal….any ideas out there?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 95 Yukon that the brake lights have stopped working. Changed the switch and now the gearshift lockout doesn’t work when pressing the brake pedal….any ideas out there?
did you verify that the brakes switch was the problem originally?
did you verify the brake lights now work after replacing the switch?
double check your work, check the connector on the new switch.

OP
OP
T

Tazdog10

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for your input!
The brake lights still don’t work with the new switch installed. Bulbs and fuses check out and there is 12 v to the 2nd pin from the front of the connector. Don’t know which pins are cruise control and gearshift lockout and which is brake lights . Any ideas on that?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your input!
The brake lights still don’t work with the new switch installed. Bulbs and fuses check out and there is 12 v to the 2nd pin from the front of the connector. Don’t know which pins are cruise control and gearshift lockout and which is brake lights . Any ideas on that?
no I have no experience on the pin out, I would put the old switch back in and then and confirm the shift works again and if so then I would start by either getting a helper to press the brake pedal or figure out a way to depress the pedal with a stick or something and then check for brake light power at the rear behind the brake bulb connectors it's common for build up or corrosion to make the bulbs not work, also apply 12v to each bulb to confirm the bulbs are good or not, just basic troubleshooting from back first if there is no power at the brake bulb connector then start looking more forward. look for any rusted or broken wires, rubbed wires, dangling wires, etc

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
check your fuses as well, if you have a meter all you have to do is put it on continuity and touch the 2 outer pins on the fuses, you do not have to pull them out

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliteweapons