Bose bass/treble settings?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

elcapitanmas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know the right frequencies for the bose system? I have a couple options with my clarion and not sure what the specs are for bass, treble, sw filter etc.

Bass options are.
60hz
80hz
100hz
200hz
treble options are.
sw filter
bass q factor

Never even looked at these settings when I had the HU in my other vehicles........

Thanks
E

chauncey0337

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would think you just set it to what sounds best for the type of music you listen to.

MrBalll

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would think you just set it to what sounds best for the type of music you listen to.

This. The frequency's won't be the same. If you had treble at five on Bose, then it could be 2 on Clarion.
I know those aren't your number choices, but it's just an example. You can either get equipment and properly tune or just do it by ear to the way in which you think sounds best.

abladeafficionado

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The parametric EQ allows you to fine tune certain frequencies beyond what a graphic EQ offers. Your EQ is only a 2, a 3 band would have been much better, but a 2 band PEQ is still a good feature. It'll allow you to select you frequency rather than being stuck with predetermined frequencies like you are with a graphic EQ.

Here is a quick reference guide. All credit goes the c0mpl3x from DIYMA.

Here some very hepfull tuning info for the less experienced in EQ tuning.

FREQUENCY:
USES:

50Hz
1. Increase to add more fullness to lowest frequency instruments like foot, floor tom, and the bass.
2. Reduce to decrease the "boom" of the bass and will increase overtones and the recognition of bass line in the mix. This is most often used on loud bass lines like rock.

100Hz
1. Increase to add a harder bass sound to lowest frequency instruments.
2. Increase to add fullness to guitars, snare.
3. Increase to add warmth to piano and horns.
4. Reduce to remove boom on guitars & increase clarity.

200Hz
1. Increase to add fullness to vocals.
2. Increase to add fullness to snare and guitar ( harder sound ).
3. Reduce to decrease muddiness of vocals or mid-range instruments.
4. Reduce to decrease gong sound of cymbals.

400Hz
1. Increase to add clarity to bass lines especially when speakers are at low volume.
2. Reduce to decrease "cardboard" sound of lower drums (foot and toms).
3. Reduce to decrease ambiance on cymbals.

800Hz
1. Increase for clarity and "punch" of bass.
2. Reduce to remove "cheap" sound of guitars.

1.5KHz
1. Increase for "clarity" and "pluck" of bass.
2. Reduce to remove dullness of guitars.

3KHz
1. Increase for more "pluck" of bass.
2. Increase for more attack of electric / acoustic guitar.
3. Increase for more attack on low piano parts.
4. Increase for more clarity / hardness on voice.
5. Reduce to increase breathy, soft sound on background vocals.
6. Reduce to disguise out-of-tune vocals / guitars.

5KHz
1. Increase for vocal presence.
2. Increase low frequency drum attack ( foot / toms).
3. Increase for more "finger sound" on bass.
4. Increase attack of piano, acoustic guitar and brightness on guitars (especially rock guitars).
5. Reduce to make background parts more distant.
6. Reduce to soften "thin" guitar.

7KHz
1. Increase to add attack on low frequency drums ( more metallic sound ).
2. Increase to add attack to percussion instruments.
3. Increase on dull singer.
4. Increase for more "finger sound" on acoustic bass.
5. Reduce to decrease "s" sound on singers.
6. Increase to add sharpness to synthesizers, rock guitars, acoustic guitar and piano.

10KHz
1. Increase to brighten vocals.
2. Increase for "light brightness" in acoustic guitar and piano.
3. Increase for hardness on cymbals.
4. Reduce to decrease "s" sound on singers.

15KHz
1. Increase to brighten vocals (breath sound).
2. Increase to brighten cymbals, string instruments and flutes.
3. Increase to make sampled synthesizer sound more real.

Last edited:
OP
OP
elcapitanmas

elcapitanmas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for that info ablade, I have tuned it by ear, but it is VERY difficult to hear differences, I think I'll look for a tuning cd, theres got to be something out there used for ear tuning stereos.

abladeafficionado

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try and find Focal's demo CDs. They've got some good content. CDs 1 and 2 are the best for tuning IMO, but there's 9 of them out there.

I would recommend picking a song that you've listened to many, many times, and tune by that. I have a few that I use. I use only 256kbs+ rips for tuning (my HU doesn't support FLAC), or CDs. Here's a few of my favorites for tuning:

- Hotel California by the Eagles (Hell Freezes Over Album): great song, there are many layers to the song that can only be reveled when tuned properly
- Mary Jane's Last Dance by Tom Petty: complex guitar riffs, many layers of guitar
- Quadrophenia by the Who: Keith Moon drumming gives the mid bass a workout
- Lights by Ellie Goulding (Dubstep version): will reveal sibilance in a poorly tuned system, vocals can sound overly bright (female voices are tougher to reproduce properly than male voices are), tests upper sub bass
I Can't Stop by Flux Pavilion: lots of bass with varying bass line, will separate the "one note wonders" from the good subs, if you have problems with balance in the sub bass on this song, the enclosure is just as much to blame as the sub is, the enclosure is 90% of a sub stage

Those are my few that I listen to regularly to tune. The better you know the songs, the better you can tune by ear with them.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fafafyfy