bad valve seals??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ryank99

Reaction score
ok, so my dang truck started smokin out of the exhuast this week. started off with just a little smoke, now its really noticable. it only smokes on start up during the day or a warm engine, not first thing in the morning?? it will stopo smoking within about 5- 10 seconds of idle. the smoke is white or a bluis white color, i cant really tell. could it be valve seals or maybe a leaky head gasket burning coolant?? would it smoke constantlay if it was a leaky HG? some advise would be great. i guess i need to do a compression test this weekend also

i guess i need to add that i ckecked my coolant and it DOES NOT have any oily residue and the i checked the oil, it DOES NOT have any milkyness to it. does that mean its 100% positive i DONNOT h ave a leaky HG??

Last edited:

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
blue smoke is oil. unless it is constant with cross contamination to match your most likely have bad seals somewhere. You could probably forgo the compression test but take a gander for a suddenly oily plug though to pinpoint the cylinder.

OP
OP
R

ryank99

Reaction score
any thoughts on why it doesnt smoke on the first start up of the day??
bad pcv valve maybe? im just a little dumbfounded about it not smoking in the morning, but smokes every time i start it thought out the day

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
probably because oil your oil residue drained to the bottom overnight so the seals are probably not as soaked like they would be after running a while.

OP
OP
R

ryank99

Reaction score
that makes sence. but the plot thickens....
so quick over view of just today -
started in the morning, no smoke
drove about 20 miles to day care, truck was off mabye 5 minutes, started and smoked
got to work, started about 1 hour later , NO SMOKE!
started about 2 hours after that, NO SMOKE.
WTF!!!??
so now it seems its intermidant.
i'm wondering now if when i seafoamed the lower intake while changing my injectors if maybe now its knocking loose carbon deposits and burning off pieces of carbon??
...:emotions122:

OP
OP
R

ryank99

Reaction score
good call on waiting it out....
it stopped smoking on start up friday and on saturday, my p0304(misfire cylinder 4) code went away.
so i'm pretty confident a valve was sticking due to some build up.
looks like all is well withthe engine...now i can start spending time and money on the good stuff like exhuast, and cold air kit :rockit:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bullyfiberchick