Anyone Running Kings or ICONS?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SavageDad

Reaction score
35s arnt gonna spontaneously break your truck. Many vehicles are rolling off the assembly line with them, including the new hd at4’s.

The warranty deal could be an issue though if you have that type of dealer.

I just stared at him and explained the size and weight difference better the stock tires and 35s especially when you step down from a 20 to a 17 and he essentially informed me that he doesn't know what size tires come on the truck but he knows for a fact that "big boy 35s" have broken drivetrains. The fact that he kept calling them "big boy 35s" told me all I needed to know really.

OP
OP
O

OCBJJ

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Is there a particular reason you went with the 2.5s over the 3.0s? This is all largely daydreaming now unfortunately, I made a crack at our last oil change about the garbage oem tires that we keep replacing and repairing and swapping them out with a set of 35" MT Baja Boss all terrains. She spent the next five minutes hearing about how they're seeing major parts failures from guys running "big boy 35s" and how some poor schmuck put 35s on his 3500 and 7k miles later he had to replace his tranny out of pocket because 35s void your warranty. We did a little light off-roading a week ago and some tires and suspension upgrades would have gone a long way (so would some lockers) but she's now convinced that 35s break trucks. /end rant
If the dealer voided the warranty of a 3500 that's designed to pull 20K+ daily over his installation of 35" tires, run, don't walk from that dealership. Sounds like a BS, made up story to me. I have customers all day running 35s and 37s on Ram 2500/3500 and Ford F250/F350 with no issues on drivetrain (even driveshaft) warranties with modified suspension. It all comes down to the dealer.

On my brand new, well, 1 year old Super duty,
  • I have sun-fade on BOTH of my headlights on a year-old truck.
  • My Driver Door won't lock: I hit the lock button and you can open the driver door. You'll see a message on the console-screen "alarm will sound if not unlocked by key fob within 10 seconds". I can manually lock it, lock it with the Key fob and button on the door and the lock-post actuates but you can always open the driver door from the outside handle. This is the MOST frustrating issue.
  • Telescoping wheel doesn't work fore/aft, only tilt up and down.
So i hear from the dealership:

"Hello - since you added an aftermarket light bar, you'll need to come pick up the truck and remove the light bar and/or bumper (or we can remove the bumper but you're on the hook for $900 in labor to do so), then return it to us to replace your headlights. Secondly, you have an aftermarket stereo. To replace your lock actuator, you'll need to take your truck to the stereo shop and have all aftermarket components removed, including the sound deadening, for our tech to access the actuator".

After too much time with the advisor and several calls to the service manager, they agreed to remove the light bar and bend the brackets to clear the grill charging me $180 to perform this task. Instead of removing the few Allen head bolts that secure the sound deadening panel in the door, the tech took a hole-saw to it and replaced the actuator. Then, i found the cover to my JL Audio C3-650 component crossover speaker under my driver's seat.

Guess it's off to the stereo shop to have them fix what the dealer couldn't' figure out. On the bright side, my Driver door now locks, my telescoping wheel telescopes and my headlights are new. Overall, i need to toss this one in the win column, i think.

Anyway, YMMV but some dealerships suck, others make it much easier. Modifying vehicles is almost guaranteed to cause you an issue at the dealership in my experience.

OP
OP
O

OCBJJ

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well, she's done. I went with ICON as i am local and volunteered the rig to be their R&D vehicle. Dropped it off to measure a few months ago and again for installation. I purchased their 2.5" front (and rear) Coilover with R/R and Adjusters, Billet Upper Control Arms, Rear Tubular Upper Control Arm (facilitates more rear travel and tire clearance). Also dropped to 17s, Icon RECON wheels, and a Falken 285/75r17 RT Tire. These cycle lock to lock and NO trimming was required. It looks like 35s will fit with minor trimming but digging this combo for now.

Not sure when they plan to release the kit but I'm THRILLED with the end result. Drives awesome on-road; as much as I want to go hit my local off-road test-track, it's my wife's SUV and i just had it ceramic coated and the Front PPF so i am going to hold off until she gets the first scratch.

Next up, i have AMP steps in the garage to throw on this weekend.

Yukon 1.jpgYukon 2.jpgYukon 3.jpgYukon 4.jpgYukon 5.jpg

thill466

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well, she's done. I went with ICON as i am local and volunteered the rig to be their R&D vehicle. Dropped it off to measure a few months ago and again for installation. I purchased their 2.5" front (and rear) Coilover with R/R and Adjusters, Billet Upper Control Arms, Rear Tubular Upper Control Arm (facilitates more rear travel and tire clearance). Also dropped to 17s, Icon RECON wheels, and a Falken 285/75r17 RT Tire. These cycle lock to lock and NO trimming was required. It looks like 35s will fit with minor trimming but digging this combo for now.

Not sure when they plan to release the kit but I'm THRILLED with the end result. Drives awesome on-road; as much as I want to go hit my local off-road test-track, it's my wife's SUV and i just had it ceramic coated and the Front PPF so i am going to hold off until she gets the first scratch.

View attachment 406260View attachment 406261View attachment 406262View attachment 406263View attachment 406264
Looks great! Can you drop a part # for the upgraded rear control arms? I did the readylift kit on my wife's at4 because it was the only one that retained the magneride but it didnt come with extended rear control arms.

SavageDad

Reaction score

View attachment 406260View attachment 406261View attachment 406262View attachment 406263View attachment 406264
She looks damn good man!! I'm sure the wife wouldn't mind/notice a little jaunt down a local trail...you know for testing and safety purposes.

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Looks awesome!

djnice

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I guess @OCBJJ has left. The rig looks realy good. It doesn't appear Icon has any of this stuff for sale. I may call them.

If @OCBJJ is stil around, what offset are the wheels? Looks like they would be either 0mm or 25mm. I am wondering if no rubbing is due to using 25mm.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AT4Hunter

Latest posts