Anyone else had issues with Ranch Hand rust?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tylus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
installed June 6th

Started rusting 2 weeks later. Gets worse each time it rains. Here we are approaching week 6 and I got this response from Ranch Hand today.
A3684E78-8A18-428D-B62B-5F524D700FF2.jpeg

WTF? What company expects their customer to prep and paint THEMSELEVES a supposedly finished product the customer just spent $600 on? I’ve had Chinese crap steel steps and push bars with better paint jobs. And frankly customer service.

I know some people have Ranch Hands. Just curious how common this is.

B784BF12-70D8-454E-A88D-43DCDF4103C3.jpeg
D77DFF38-30FC-4537-919A-1B333F33AC33.jpeg
E1C2421A-F9E9-4C22-9007-438FC80CD43C.jpeg
7BFBDECF-B2EB-4E2F-A120-6155821D6145.jpeg

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
appears to be a finished product thats powder coated to me definitely shouldn't be rusting already. it sounds like they dont want to replace your stuff because thats the only thing they could really do. they wont pay for a local place to strip and recoat them because if it starts rusting again its still on them. however id have to find your specific one and place you bought it from or have the paperwork that came with yours. there are plenty of places that sell you exactly that an unfinished product that just has a cheap top coat of regular paint. on that note you would expect to see that listed in the fine print somewhere.

OP
OP
Tylus

Tylus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ranch Hand return policy is that the buyer pays for shipping back to them. Then they inspect to agree that they caused the defect. Or not.

From reading on the web, Ranch Hand also charges for the shipping of a replacement product to the buyer. For me that’s a few hundred $$$. To get their screw-up fixed

Push comes to shove, I’ll return it through Amazon (who bought from). I was just hoping Ranch Hand would stand behind their expensive product.

Rdr854

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would contact Amazon if you are still in the return period. You will have more leverage if the seller was Amazon rather than a third party. But, generally speaking, Amazon tries to male their customers happy.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
on this specific topic also if you get a replacement or return and buy a different product check around at some of your local truck shops. there used to be a shop up where i was that would take your gaurds and steps prep and use the spray on bedliner. completely sealing the accessory from moisture preventing rust altogether. this specific shop would even add thier "warranty" to your accessory that if it ever rusted they would replace it in them.

OP
OP
Tylus

Tylus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I emailed Ranch Hand back to have them clarify that they do in fact expect me to correct the rust on my brand new product. Maybe I’ll get a response tomorrow.

Their phone response is worthless. I did contact Amazon about the issue. They will send me another and pick this up free of charge.

The issue is rust on another one. If you dig, Ranch Hand has been having these issues in last few years.

I was thinking about buying a Ranch Hand for my 2001 Yukon. Now I'm thinking not. Thanks for the heads-up. Hope you get your problem taken care of.
Sadly it’s not just me. Several recent reviews on the web about this exact issue

MichaelSE

2010 2500
Reaction score
Mine was rusting slightly in the same spots. I took some Rustoleum Rust Reformer, sprayed it in a cup, got a q-tip, and dabbed it on the rusting areas. It's been fine ever since. Besides that, I'm pretty pleased with the guard. Fit was perfect. Shame to hear that they're not responsive to you.

OP
OP
Tylus

Tylus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine was rusting slightly in the same spots. I took some Rustoleum Rust Reformer, sprayed it in a cup, got a q-tip, and dabbed it on the rusting areas. It's been fine ever since. Besides that, I'm pretty pleased with the guard. Fit was perfect. Shame to hear that they're not responsive to you.
I like that solution. I was going to try Por-15 and then rustoleum. But POR-15 can be runny. Your method seems cleaner

It took a week of effort to get them to respond initially.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ylwdogs