AFM Disabling module question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Goodinblack

I Like Tacos
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed on the last statement, bro! Liberal assholes...

And I can only feel the AFM system if I really pay close attention to it engage/disengage. I can also tell a noticeable difference in exhaust note while in four cylinder mode versus eight cylinder mode. I think after I disable it here in the VERY near future, I'll be able to tell even more differences while driving. According to Vgreid's posts, after disabling the AFM, he's noticed more overall power, better engine braking, and not surprisingly, much better throttle response. It it goes without saying he has also noticed oil consumption almost dissapear. Are you planning on disabling the AFM on one or both of your trucks either via a Range unit or BB tune, goodinblack? If you're still on the fence about it, I'll be doing this to my '07 Burb in the very near future and would be more than happy to provide you with a full conclusion on any results achieved afterwards, my friend. Going from the trusted results of a few of our fellow members here, I expect great results. ;)

:Handshake:

Yes. I hope to rid of it in the suburban.

Look forward to your feedback if you do it first :)

Clean07Burb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My mpg was virtually identical from when I had AFM to now having tuned out

That's awesome, dude. You're not the only one I've heard this from, either. Makes me wonder what R&D GM based this system on before incorporating it into their lineup. My guess is the theoretical results looked good on paper, so that was that and now we're stuck dealing with the drawbacks of the system. Sometimes I wonder about these automotive engineers that design these new vehicle technologies and if they use their customer base as Guinea Pigs. Lol. Do you guys know if the 2015+ models are still equipped with some form of AFM? I haven't looked into it, but if I had to guess, I'd say they do. Hopefully its not the same system run on our generation trucks. :(

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure they have some form of AFM. Hopefully it's upgrade and not the same crappy system lol

Clean07Burb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:Handshake:

Yes. I hope to rid of it in the suburban.

Look forward to your feedback if you do it first :)

Cool. I'm planning on doing it very soon, but if you get around to it before me be sure to give me the good word on it. you plan on using the Range unit or a BB tune?

Vgreid

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I honestly was starting to believe my engine was on its way to being toast. But I am starting to think that this might come around, and I think the AFM disable is a big part of the equation. So, if you are thinking about it, I say go for it, as long as it is turned off you will be in much better shape and your truck will thank you!

zzpw3x

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
BB will tune it out, but the dealer can tell how many times the PCM has been programmed. So even if it's programmed "back to stock" to dealer will know something is up.

I would bet that the first thing the dealer does when diagnosing an engine problem is check the tune. I don't have any special insight, but it's easy for the dealer the check, and with the growing popularity of tunes it seems likely that they would check. I would especially be concerned with reprogramming a diesel due to the environmental regulations, and the heavy reprogramming that goes on in the diesel world.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dzg9