ac compressor noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tahoe.mkIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
greetings gents.finally got the 3wire high pressure sensor hooked up today so i could use the ac again.when i turned the ac on i got a loud rattling noise that increased with the rpm.hooked up the gauges.pressures were low,
110h/19l

last fall i had replaced the compressor, all the ac lines forward of the firewall, accumulator, condenser(twas' the black death).filled with oil.vacuum for a few hours recharge + uv dye.worked great.frosty 38* air.

then i replaced the pcm with a 411.it was set up for the 3 wire ac high pressure switch.since it was winter and i was lazy i just left the ac compressor unplugged till now.

got the blacklight and stylish uv glasses and found a leak on the rear hoses.looks like its just seeping through the hose.just so happens i had some rear ac delete plugs lying around.id prefer to not cap them off, but those hoses that go to the rear ac are expensive, and the plugs were free.
rear capped off.vacuum for 4 hours.held vacuum for 1 hour.started to add ******. got through 1-1/2 cans before it would not take any more.hit the ac switch and the comp made the same loud rattling sound.it slowly inhaled the other 1-1/2 cans and the rattle stopped.
high 210-215. low 25-30. 83* ambient temp. 55% humidity. 38* at the vents
success!...

now i get the rattle for a brief moment at start up. and it rattles very loud when i turn on the ac, once it is above idle the rattle stops, and will be fine at idle after that.if i rev it to 2500+ the compressor will make a rather unpleasant squeaking/grinding noise(sounds kind of like a bad tensioner).turn off the compressor and it sounds fine.

any input from yall is greatly appreciated.i dont wish to surrender and bring it to the shop just yet...questions that come to mind.
could this be a low oil situation?
is there anyway to determine how much oil is in the system?
think the new compressor is toast?
thanks

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
Sounds more like the compressor has a slight oil issue but you can try injecting another ounce and run it to see if it quiets up a bit. Don't presume tho that the rattle it not a bad tensioner slapping it or the belt around. Especially when a belt is chirping.

OP
OP
tahoe.mkIII

tahoe.mkIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cool.hoping its just an oil issue.i replaced the tensioner a few months ago, although they are huge pieces of crap, wouldnt surprise me if it was on its way out already.ill check on it in the morning.i didnt notice any excessive slop in the belt, and there hasnt been any chirping/sqeaking recently, that might be the gatorback belt though.they are pretty squeak resistant.thanks for the ac insight slc

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
They are very good belts which makes me think you might have a tension issue. I think gatorback makes those too as well.

---------- Post added at 10:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:06 PM ----------

Check the alignment marks on it when running.

OP
OP
tahoe.mkIII

tahoe.mkIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was going to ask you if you knew of a better tensioner out there for our trucks.im going to find one.thanks sunlit

Ordered a few Goodyear tensioners.looks like they use a different kind of spring, which hopefully will last a bit longer

Last edited:
OP
OP
tahoe.mkIII

tahoe.mkIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Delco one was about $10 more than the Goodyear, but it didn't mention spring design or have any reviews, so I got the Goodyear ones

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019