2022 GMC Yukon SLT Concern

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ungawa

Reaction score
Has anyone else noticed that the wheel wells are made out of the carpet like covered cardboard. I was pretty disappointed to find this out. When did they switch to this from heavy plastic?
Do all the trim levels use this same material in the wheel well? It is what it is, but will it last?

Quark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It might help with sound deadening but if durability suffers I'd prefer plastic.

Chad G 1979

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 16 canyon has those carpeted type wheel well liners and they seem to hold up well from pressure washes and 6 years of driving. Just my experience they seem to be fine under normal conditions. Off roading and such may be a different story

OP
OP
U

Ungawa

Reaction score
My 16 canyon has those carpeted type wheel well liners and they seem to hold up well from pressure washes and 6 years of driving. Just my experience they seem to be fine under normal conditions. Off roading and such may be a different story
Thats good to hear. I have the card board cover under a 2016 sorento and its coming apart, how ever the wheel wells are plastic. I hate the damn thing on my sorento because you have to removed like 20 bolts just to change the oil, pita. Other than that the Sorento has been a good care.
As for the Yukon I hope it holds up. Where I live in central Texas we have black gumbo soil and when it gets wet that stuff will stick to anything if you get off road and it gets really heavy when wet.

suterusu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had a Cadillac ATS with carpeted wheel wells that I put over 80K miles on without issue. I wouldn't worry.

Duraburb22

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Very hard and time consuming to remove mud from the carpeted wheel wells vs plastic.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very hard and time consuming to remove mud from the carpeted wheel wells vs plastic.
I'm willing to bet that the amount of people taking their 2022 GM fullsize SUV through the mud is a very small amount therefore concerning the fine folks at GM very little. By the time these things do become mudding machines cleaning the wheel wells will not be high on the priority list of the owner.

Saltydog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the carpet liners in my 2016 GMS Sierra and they held up fine and my bro n law has the truck now and still no issue.

They are a pain to get muck off, but a good pressure washing is all that is needed.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laurents10