2016 Yukon XL Denali

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JMH1980

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
This is our new/used XL.
Just purchased last weekend. 76,839 miles on it.
So far, it runs and drives flawlessly.
I am in the process of getting detailed service records from GM. It did come with a Carfax, but it doesn't really lay out any specific details of what's been done.
I have already installed the Range disabler on it.
Oil looks clean. Suspension seem to be good for now.
I want to do the Thermostat bypass upgrade for its 8L90. Also, do a drain and fill with the updated fluid, along with changing the filter. Would it be a good idea to do this now and then again at the next oil change interval ?
Then possibly restart a transmission service interval at the next 40k miles ?

Attachments

• PXL_20230723_145619336~3.jpg
    PXL_20230723_145619336~3.jpg
    470.1 KB · Views: 5

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure on the trans t-stat thing. I asked my friend who is a master GM tech for 35 years and gets mostly heavy work, said the torque converter in the 8 speed is different than the 6 speed and more robust. He said between that and the new fluid, the lower temp bypass isn't necessary. I do trust his judgment, but I'm still of the idea that cooler is better.

On my 8 speed, I never see high temps. The only time I saw over 160F was driving hard in tow/haul mode while breaking in New vented rotors and checking other things. So far, so good..........even after running a quart(ish) low for 1300 miles after a trans service at the dealership.....go figure

Last edited:

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Bagherra

Reaction score
When i got my '16 Denali, i went ahead and changed all the fluids to establish a baseline for me. Unfortunalely, i had a lifter collaspe earlier this year....

OP
OP
JMH1980

JMH1980

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
When i got my '16 Denali, i went ahead and changed all the fluids to establish a baseline for me. Unfortunalely, i had a lifter collaspe earlier this year....
What'd that entail and cost to get repaired?

TKauto

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Please share I'd love to know as well, I just bought a 2015 Denali XL and want to bullet proof it if possible

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laurents10

Latest posts