2016 Yukon Denali not starting. Dash says “Turn wheel to start vehicle”

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Budcat

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2016 Yukon Denali with intermittent starting problem that happens every couple of months. When I press the start button the dash/instruments come on, and the outside running lights some on, and the seat changes to memory position (thus it recognizes the key) but starter doesnt seem to be told to start the engine. No clicking from the starter, no action there at all.

Wife drove it this morning to the Dr, the bookstore, then library, and it started fine each time. Car sat at home for an hour, then I went to start it and the instruments lights up like normal but no action under the hood. Tried putting they key in the special slot in the center console, didn’t help. Tried exiting, locking/unlocking, get back it, etc, none worked.

A couple of the times, after dismissing the rainsense and other messages, it said “Turn wheel to start vehicle” When I turned the wheel (with the engine still off of course), the wheel locked and then I can no longer turn it.

We replaced the battery about a year and a half ago when it was almost 5 years old. When the original battery was going bad we did get the clicking sound from the starter, OnStar came and jumped it and we drove it to a dealer and had the battery replaced.

We replaced the batteries in the key fobs a few months ago.

Any ideas?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
new one to me, what are these "other" messages and why are they occurring? I am asking because maybe they are related.

OP
OP
B

Budcat

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
new one to me, what are these "other" messages and why are they occurring? I am asking because maybe they are related.
The "turn wheel" message is the only new message. The others are the normal 'rainsense activated" and 'iphone connected' messages I get every time I try to start the car.

OP
OP
B

Budcat

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
found this, might help sounds very similar
Success!!! Thank you Doubeleive for that link. In one of those messages someone said to try 'accessory mode', i.e. pressing start button with foot off brake pedal, and that might unlock the wheel lock. Well, after a couple of tries turning on the accessory mode, the wheel did unlock and then I was able to start the car. Sounds like a known problem with the steering wheel lock mechanism.

OP
OP
B

Budcat

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Success!!! Thank you Doubeleive for that link. In one of those messages someone said to try 'accessory mode', i.e. pressing start button with foot off brake pedal, and that might unlock the wheel lock. Well, after a couple of tries turning on the accessory mode, the wheel did unlock and then I was able to start the car. Sounds like a known problem with the steering wheel lock mechanism.
Doubeleive, sorry that I thought it was someone on that other site who said to try accessory mode....It was you who said it, in another thread in this forum. Again, thank you so much for your help!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RanchoTexas