2015i Suburban Impressions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tylus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just got back from the Mainland where I had rented a 2015i 'Burb 4x4 for 1 week while visiting family in Austin. Overall, I was very happy with the rig. It had 2 issues that I found extremely annoying.
1. Onstar kept that stupid demo mode everytime you started the car, so for about 30 seconds it let you know it was in demo mode. Not the cars fault, just a stupid technicality since it was a rental.

2. The transmission couldn't figure out what damn gear to use at low speeds and/or when you got a little pedal happy.​

The transmission was great when going from Point A to B at speed. But in certain areas of Austin you have to merge in short distances. It required me to get into the throttle a bit more than usual. Hell at times, just to climb a hill on the 2222 or Mopac I had to peg the gas. It was quite annoying during those points.
The trans would hesitate and really seemed to take it's time downshifting. Considering all the hype I've read about this trans, I was really expecting more from it.

My current 6 speed doesn't do that. :wtf:

Is this typical of the 8 speed? or just something that occurs due to the adaptive learning strategies it got from all the previous renters?

I will say however that it was nice getting ~22 mpg on the highway going 75 mph from Austin to Waco everyday. Previous trips I was lucky to get 18 mpg in other rentals. So there is a HUGE bonus for the 8 speed. All told, I put 1100 miles on the 2015i Burb
With a family of 6, our current Tahoe does the job admirably...but the wife did keep pointing out all the extra luggage space. so maybe I'll bein the market for a 'Burb when I get back to the Mainland. I do miss that feeling of "King of the Road" every since I sold my Excursion.​

techbrute

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You weren't driving a model with the 8 speed. It is only available in the GMC Yukon Denali and the Cadillac. The behavior you were describing sound like what I experienced with my 6-speed GMC Sierra.

The Suburban and Yukon XL will spoil you with cargo capacity.

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No 8-speed in the Chevy Suburban or Tahoe. Not available with the 5.3. Available in the 6.2 GMC Denali and Cadillac. If it was a Suburban then I would say there was something wrong with the 6-speed. I have owned five Tahoes including a 2015 and never had a problem with any of the trannys.

---------- Post added at 02:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:29 AM ----------

Sorry to sound redundant but apparently we were both posting at the same time.

OP
OP
Tylus

Tylus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thx for the correction

Guess it was just fubar'd from prior rentals

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the 6 speed tranny i heard is a finnicky tranny it doesnt have a a direct drive 1:1 ratio 3rd gear 3rd and 4th gear ratios are really close then it jumps to Over drive 5th and 6th

OP
OP
Tylus

Tylus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my Tahoe just rolled 9,000 miles after owning 1yr this week. never had a lick of issues with the transmission.

I've seen this before with late model Fords. the adaptive trans controller gets confused with multiple drivers and it just can't figure out how to shift consistently.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meandmyhoe20