05 Tahoe engine swap options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lit549

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just curious as to what year engine I should be shopping for.Im looking to replace my 05 lm7 5.3 with either another 5.3 or preferably a 6.0.I don't wanna buy an engine just to learn it won't work with my Tahoe.I believe it's the flex fuel with dod??

Chubbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LM7 is not flex fuel.. DOD displacement on demand didn't show up in trucks until 2007 NNBS 4th-gen motors. Already F'n up. All you have to do is Google, boss. Wikipedia even describes every engine, the generation, design & horsepower by rpo code. Please do your homework if you are seriously doing a job like this by yourself. At least learn the basics of what you have and will need. Otherwise you will spend twice the money and time re-doing, returning, swapping, bargaining. If you don't even know what kind of engine is in your truck, consider seeking help from a pro, joining some other GM performance forums, and so forth.

OP
OP
Lit549

Lit549

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't really get the snobby response,what is the purpose of the "engine"section of a forum if I can't ask questions about an engine?

OP
OP
Lit549

Lit549

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have plenty of ability and knowledge as anyone can tell by my past projects that I have built,so really I don't get the response .AGAiN ,I wanted to know what my options are for an engine swap,what years will work,i know how to google,ive done a lot of searches .If I can't get a straight answer without a lecture on a TAHOE FORUM,whats the purpose of this sight??

IMG_20180518_175046.jpg 20171206_150401.jpg FB_IMG_1506926860329.jpg

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I'm not a pro, but I have an 03. Had the 4.8, which was a great motor, but I wanted bigger. I went with an LQ4 from an 05 Silverado. Non flex fuel. The LQ9 has a few more ponies, but they're usually more expensive then the LQ4's. If you can, go with a 6.0. I'd think an 03-06 might be better for your 05, possibly due to sensor location. Once the motor is out you might as well get some head work, cam headers etc. You know the deal:D.

OP
OP
Lit549

Lit549

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the helpful response,thats really what I was worried about is the flex fuel thing,wich is a l59 .I misspoke earlier.Ive searched alot and haven't found hat issues I'll run into if I buy a older 6.0.Peoplr are proud of them,they want ALOT for high mileage

Walkercraig01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the helpful response,thats really what I was worried about is the flex fuel thing,wich is a l59 .I misspoke earlier.Ive searched alot and haven't found hat issues I'll run into if I buy a older 6.0.Peoplr are proud of them,they want ALOT for high mileage
yea they do . but also because they last along time . its a good motor to build for that reason I have a l59 in my yukon

OP
OP
Lit549

Lit549

Full Access Member
Reaction score
See that was part of what I was wondering,am I better of sticking with my 05 5.3 as I read they upgraded the pistons and rods..I REALLY want more power with a 6.0 ,maybe a small cam.I dam sure don't want to downgrade though.Ive had a hard time finding 04-06 6.0,ive found plenty of 02-03 years,from what 8read they will work?