‘21 Tahoe - Cold on Drivers Side, Hot Passenger Side

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nmcgrawj

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey everyone, trying to see if anyone else is having this problem that my sister’s truck appears to have. 4,000 miles and the HVAC blows cold on the drivers side while hot on the passenger side.

Dealer said the heater core is bad and coolant isn’t flowing which seems odd to me. I figured one of the blend door actuators went bad.

Anyhow, brand new truck and in Michigan so not great timing as the parts are on back order.

Anyone experience anything similar?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Oregon

The dealer is full of it. It would not have any warm/hot air if had a bad/clogged heater core and have never heard of a new rig do that, ever.

Sounds like a programming problem or an actuator went bad, unless someone threw something up on the dash that got down in the vent system and is blocking something.

Warranty work in her future.

OP
OP
N

nmcgrawj

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Oregon

The dealer is full of it. It would not have any warm/hot air if had a bad/clogged heater core and have never heard of a new rig do that, ever.

Sounds like a programming problem or an actuator went bad, unless someone threw something up on the dash that got down in the vent system and is blocking something.

Warranty work in her future.

That’s exactly my thought as well!

What’s frustrating is they took the truck in and had it for less than a day, only to come back and say it’s clogged and they don’t know when they will get the part since it’s back ordered. Seems hard to believe they could get to the actuators under the dash that quick...but maybe they are easily accessible?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
That means that they know of a group of heater cores that are made defective but I still don't buy that allows one side to be cold and one side hot, unless the new style heater core has two distinct chambers. Make sure you update us as this goes along and make she she gets complete detailed documentation as she goes along. Do not let her accept documentation that says: reason for failed heater core, Bad. Details about what makes it bad.

OP
OP
N

nmcgrawj

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That means that they know of a group of heater cores that are made defective but I still don't buy that allows one side to be cold and one side hot, unless the new style heater core has two distinct chambers. Make sure you update us as this goes along and make she she gets complete detailed documentation as she goes along. Do not let her accept documentation that says: reason for failed heater core, Bad. Details about what makes it bad.

Yep, that’s my plan. I’ll be sure to keep you guys updated. Hopefully this is a one off failure!

Hrocks

Reaction score
Tell her to keep taking it back to the dealer for anything that's not right to build a lemon law case. This is another classic case of first model year GM fails.

OP
OP
N

nmcgrawj

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So Friday morning she went to put it on defrost and the air came out of the front vents.... who would have guessed!

She's dropping the truck off today for them to keep it until its fixed. Should be in a loaner...but so far have only offered a Traverse which seems rather cheap seeing as they don't know how long she won't have the truck.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
when you drop it off I would seriously ask lots of questions, 1. what made them assume it was a heater core (100% sure that is b.s.) ask them to show you a diagram of how the heater core is designed (then ask a for a explanation, while they stutter and come up with some lame excuse), because it has a left & right blend door and a mode door up/down/defrost and should have one more for re-circulation and 1 heater core in front and 1. heater core in the rear. I have looked under the hood the system is designed the same at it has been for the last 40 years, still has the plastic T's that split off to the rear, there is isn't 4 lines going into the firewall.

RugbyRef

Reaction score
Sorry to be Captain Obvious here and this could be a dumb question, but is her Tahoe equipped with the "Sync" button? It's on the right-hand climate control panel knob. Perhaps the divers side is set to a cooler temp and the passenger side is set to a warmer temp?

You know...the whole Occam's Razor theory...maybe...kinda?

OP
OP
N

nmcgrawj

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sorry to be Captain Obvious here and this could be a dumb question, but is her Tahoe equipped with the "Sync" button? It's on the right-hand climate control panel knob. Perhaps the divers side is set to a cooler temp and the passenger side is set to a warmer temp?

You know...the whole Occam's Razor theory...maybe...kinda?

At first I thought that may be it LOL....but after another few days past and then the dealer also saw the temp difference. The last straw was the air blowing out of the front vents when set to defrost.

I'm in NC while she lives in Michigan...so i'm doing the best I can to support her remotely. :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2DoeProjectHoe