YUKON XL displaying Reduced Engine Power

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DLNewman

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My 2005 Yukon XL has started showing "reduced engine power", I pull over on side of road, turn the engine off, wait 30 sec, restart, the message is gone and the Yukon runs normally. It has been doing this randomly for about a month. I can't find a pattern to when it will happen. I have seen other forums that mention replacing the TPS module. Any experience/suggestions?
I am capable of doing most all repairs on my vehicles, have been driving GMCs or Chevs for 45 yrs, never had this error before.
thanks

Physh1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, your truck is a fly-by-wire vehicle which means there is no throttle cable. Your gas pedal position sends signals to open or close the throttle body blade by electric motor. If the signal is unstable or the comp detects an issue that the TPS is likely to blame.

I believe you can get a code via OBDII port to verify where the failure is occuring.

Cameron

Grimes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had this issue 2 years ago with my '03. Talk about frustrating, and it lasted until fix, with no apparent trigger to cause it. The challenge was getting it to the shop for them to pull the code, because it would turn on/off on various starts. Eventually got it, but I do not remember the change that we made. If you haven't figured it out by tomorrow, I can check my invoice file for the truck and see.

The point I am making though is if you hit the timing right and get the true code pulled, you will know the problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadi awais

Latest posts