YUKON 2022. Driving on AUTO Mode

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DuraYuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How to know if the components might have been damaged? As lately I m feeling vibration in the car , though I have changed the whole set of tires? Also now, when the car on Auto mode and I turn the steering wheel on low speed, I feel like the tires are slipping
Take it in and explain it to them. They can dig in to see what's going on. Put it in 4hi and drive and then put it in 2 hi and drive. See if you notice any difference. Only go straight in 4hi otherwise it will bind up.

Auto is not meant for dry pavement conditions.

OP
OP
C

ckikano

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Like I’ve always said, there is no reason to drive these suvs/trucks in auto mode unless road/off road conditions call for it.

Yes I believe you are putting unnecessary wear on the front axle/diff if you drive in auto constantly. The selector is there for a reason, use it when conditions warrant. If you want an AWD vehicle go buy one, this is RWD platform with an option for 4wd. There were models that had AWD on previous generations of the vehicles but since the 2015 model year they have all had a SELECTABLE 4wd transfer case.

MY THOUGHTS/OPINIONS on the auto mode is just what the owners manual says and the way I read it if you don’t need auto 4wd keep it in 2wd. Basically, ‘Auto 4wd’ is just like the trucks from an era long ago… when you had to stop, get out, flip the switch on the front hubs from free to 4wd and then pull a lever in the truck to engage the transfer case. Yes I do believe you are putting unnecessary wear on the front axle. When you are in 2wd (free on the older trucks) nothing is engaged on the front axle back to the transfer case. AUTO locks the hubs (like switching hubs to 4wd on the older trucks) and engaging the front axle. At this point the difference between an old truck and a new one is the fact that a computer is monitoring wheel slip/speed…so if one wheel slips the computer acknowledges this and puts the transfer case into action sending power to all 4 (not really but everyone believes that so we’ll just go with it) and in an old truck you are that computer… if a wheel slips you pull the lever into 4wd sending power to front diff from the transfer case.

This is my opinion on AUTO.
How to know if the components might have been damaged? Lately, I've been feeling the vibration in the car, though I have changed the whole set of tires. Also now, when the car is on Auto mode and I turn the steering wheel on low speed, I feel like the tires are slipping

Vladimir2306

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How to know if the components might have been damaged? Lately, I've been feeling the vibration in the car, though I have changed the whole set of tires. Also now, when the car is on Auto mode and I turn the steering wheel on low speed, I feel like the tires are slipping
It should not slip in Auto mode. In general, nothing will happen for 23 thousand km in Auto mode. There, the problem begins not with the bridge, but with the clutch unit that this front axle includes, and then on a run closer to 60-80 thousand and subject to a sufficiently active drive in Auto mode.

CTown Duramax

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got 4WD and wish I didn't have it. Two winters now and I have not used it once. It's a $3k upcharge and hundreds of pounds in the front end. Growing up, everything was RWD and we did just fine. We lived on a mud country road and didn't need 4WD. All it took was a little skill.

Last edited:

Vladimir2306

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got 4WD and wish I didn't have it. Two winters now and I have not used it once. It's a $3k upcharge and hundreds of pounds in the front end. Growing up, everything was RWD and we did just fine. We lived on a mud country road and didn't need 4WD. All it took was a little skill.
Why did you buy a 4WD then?

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Except for resale EVERYONE expects these to be 4WD, you'll take a big hit with 2wd. Consider yourself lucky......

CTown Duramax

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Except for resale EVERYONE expects these to be 4WD, you'll take a big hit with 2wd. Consider yourself lucky......
True here in New England - 4WD is all the dealers sell - but not the South and Southwest. The Tahoe has been very competent in the snow with these Michelin LTX's in 2WD. I guess 4WD would make a lot of sense if you're living in snow country or up a long private drive. IMHO, simple is best, get only what you need. That said, I love this truck, no complaints at all. 4wd is fine and maybe I'll have a use for it someday. The Tahoe handles great (in 2WD).

Last edited:

Vladimir2306

Full Access Member
Reaction score
True here in New England - 4WD is all the dealers sell - but not the South and Southwest. The Tahoe has been very competent in the snow with these Michelin LTX's in 2WD. I guess 4WD would make a lot of sense if you're living in snow country or up a long private drive. IMHO, simple is best, get only what you need. That said, I love this truck, no complaints at all. 4wd is fine and maybe I'll have a use for it someday. The Tahoe handles great (in 2WD).
In general, it is, These machines behave perfectly in 2WD mode. We have snowy, cold and slippery winters in Russia, but I feel great on winter studded tires in 2WD mode. Including Auto only when you need to park in a snowdrift or leave it)))) 2WD copes with everything else.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just make sure you excercise it every once and a while because that time you need it… well you know

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts