Would you buy this?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
M

midwestern

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Mike, these first year models had early problems with vibration but after nine years I'm sure it's been fixed by now. They had out of round axle shaft flanges and the roof bows did not have enough sealant causing buffeting problems.

Besides the condenser, these trucks also had thermostats on their transmissions that kept them running at nearly the same temperature as the coolant. This causes most of the transmission to fail by about 100K miles. The remedy is to "flip the pill" or install a new lower temperature unit. The heat causes the torque converter to fail sending clutch material throughout the pump and unit requiring a complete overhaul if not caught soon enough. A factory replacement transmission will have a goodwrench sticker on top of it usually. Check for date codes written with a china marker if maybe someone else rebuilt/replaced it.

Wow good stuff. Thank you for being thorough.

If it doesn’t have a good wrench sticker then what?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
not sure where you are all expecting to find "better prices & better condition" from?
have any of you shopped for one lately?
maybe you are looking at private party cash sales? (even those are generally more)
anywhere on the west coast that is a pretty decent price and a 2 year warranty on top and that would be rust free over here.
that price would also be rock bottom with questionable service history and likely no warranty, anything cheaper has many more miles

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow good stuff. Thank you for being thorough.

If it doesn’t have a good wrench sticker then what?
Well, the lack of the Goodwrench sticker probably means that it is original still. If so, you are probably on borrowed time before it requires replacement. If you are the proactive type, you might consider replacing the torque converter with a new one with a billet housing and thicker clutch material. But first verify that has not been done already either through service records or visually. If you poke around this forum you'll learn how to do that and what to look for.

OP
OP
M

midwestern

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
For a truck with that had disabling side swipe damage.. I think its over priced.

Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

In my opinion, you can do better price-wise, if you continue your search. At that asking price, I would expect the truck to be in pristine condition.

Truck is best condition I’ve seen out of the 5-6 Ive looked at. No rust and not a blemish on the paint.

Disabling is up to police report which could be exaggerated?
Seems high..I'd extend your search out maybe 200 miles on autotrader or cargurus and see if there are better deals.

In my area (at least) anything under 100,000 miles is about $35-40,000 currently.

I did find a 2015 LTZ on Carmax for $35,000 with 65,000 miles.

Silverado4x4

Reaction score
Truck is best condition I’ve seen out of the 5-6 Ive looked at. No rust and not a blemish on the paint.

In my area (at least) anything under 100,000 miles is about $35-40,000 currently.

When it's listed as disabled in the officers report that means a flatbed is dispatched to remove the vehicle from the accident scene, no way I would buy that vehicle.

OP
OP
M

midwestern

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
For a truck with that had disabling side swipe damage.. I think its over priced.

Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

In my opinion, you can do better price-wise, if you continue your search. At that asking price, I would expect the truck to be in pristine condition.

Seems high..I'd extend your search out maybe 200 miles on autotrader or cargurus and see if there are better deals.

not sure where you are all expecting to find "better prices & better condition" from?
have any of you shopped for one lately?
maybe you are looking at private party cash sales? (even those are generally more)
anywhere on the west coast that is a pretty decent price and a 2 year warranty on top and that would be rust free over here.
that price would also be rock bottom with questionable service history and likely no warranty, anything cheaper has many more miles

Agreed. This is overpriced but in today’s market it’s a steal.

OP
OP
M

midwestern

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome from FL!

I think the two main points have been hit, the disabling damage and the 50K mile, 4-year gap in service history. That being said, it's loaded for an LT!

It looks like it has been in Wisconsin it's entire life, so there is a higher probability of rust.

It already has Carplay so maybe you meant installing a wireless Carplay adapter?

As others have stated, the price is high considering the mileage and history, but that's how dealers make their money. KBB suggested a private party value of $22,150 in "excellent" condition and without the damage reported. Retail is obviously a bit higher.

All things considered, if I were in the market for a 2015 Tahoe to keep forever and was not concerned with resale value, I would offer them $22,000 OTD, and start ordering parts for a DOD delete.

I was under the impression that CarPlay wasn’t added until 2016

tooleyondeck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was under the impression that CarPlay wasn’t added until 2016
I stand corrected, 2015 Tahoes do not come with CarPlay. My 2015 Camaro didn’t have Carplay bc it had the old MyLink OS and my 2016 Silverado did have it, so I assumed that it was implemented with the new OS but it looks like they updated it in 2016.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do not buy a 2015. If you can’t afford an 18 with the 10 speed and a Mac Daddy Platinum extended warranty, pass on this body style.

Craddock

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My wife's Tahoe was a rental before we bought it. 2017 model. Had both the AC condenser issue ($700 if I remember right) and the transmission just went out at 111k miles. That one was over $5000.

I would not buy one of these body style again without proof that both of those issues have been fixed. Even with that, the AC issue is coming back 5 years later.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts