Would you buy this?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

midwestern

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey everyone - I'm considering buying a Tahoe and want your advice. I'm looking at a 2015 Tahoe LT with 113,000 miles on it. Cost is currently $24,000 with new tires and new brakes. I have NOT done a third party inspection YET, but plan to. Here's the truck: https://www.smarttoyota.com/used-Madison-2015-Chevrolet-Tahoe-LT-1GNSKBKC0FR705057

I'm thinking about doing an apple car play upgrade and replacing the open cup holders with a "lidded" cup holder upgrade if I can find the parts on ebay. The current center console looks pretty bad the way it is.

Anything I should be aware of on this vehicle? Is 113,000 miles on a 2015 problematic?

Thanks in advance.
Mike

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone - I'm considering buying a Tahoe and want your advice. I'm looking at a 2015 Tahoe LT with 113,000 miles on it.

Anything I should be aware of on this vehicle? Is 113,000 miles on a 2015 problematic?
Mike, these first year models had early problems with vibration but after nine years I'm sure it's been fixed by now. They had out of round axle shaft flanges and the roof bows did not have enough sealant causing buffeting problems.

Besides the condenser, these trucks also had thermostats on their transmissions that kept them running at nearly the same temperature as the coolant. This causes most of the transmission to fail by about 100K miles. The remedy is to "flip the pill" or install a new lower temperature unit. The heat causes the torque converter to fail sending clutch material throughout the pump and unit requiring a complete overhaul if not caught soon enough. A factory replacement transmission will have a goodwrench sticker on top of it usually. Check for date codes written with a china marker if maybe someone else rebuilt/replaced it.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
price seems ok, but... it is a Tahoe you could pick up a suburban for the same price and have more room
the 2 year service is the selling point if it includes the powertrain then you are good and you can beat on it and if the transmission gives out then you get a freebie
the only thing I question is the 50,000 miles GAP of unknown service
check for rust. if it has rust walk away
when I was shopping around I found a lot of them with inop parts, i.e. windows, locks, switches, functions, etc. check everything before you buy and have them fix it before you sign.
also you can take the vin to any gm dealer and check if it has any "special coverage", special coverage can be things like fuel injectors or etc.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

In my opinion, you can do better price-wise, if you continue your search. At that asking price, I would expect the truck to be in pristine condition.

tooleyondeck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome from FL!

I think the two main points have been hit, the disabling damage and the 50K mile, 4-year gap in service history. That being said, it's loaded for an LT!

It looks like it has been in Wisconsin it's entire life, so there is a higher probability of rust.

It already has Carplay so maybe you meant installing a wireless Carplay adapter?

As others have stated, the price is high considering the mileage and history, but that's how dealers make their money. KBB suggested a private party value of $22,150 in "excellent" condition and without the damage reported. Retail is obviously a bit higher.

All things considered, if I were in the market for a 2015 Tahoe to keep forever and was not concerned with resale value, I would offer them $22,000 OTD, and start ordering parts for a DOD delete.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar