Would this be a good battery?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Charlie207

Charlie207

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Just found this battery at my favorite European car parts website for $60-100 less than everywhere else, plus free shipping. I also remembered that I had some rewards $$$ on a CC, so it cost me $150 all-in, and get rewards $$ back.

Link if anyone else is interested: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/automotive-battery-group-48-odyssey-48-720

(It rememinds me that I need to replace all the brake lines and suspension components on my BMW project car.... fck)

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let us know how it works out over the years. Our charging systems were not designed for AGM batteries and so they usually don't last as long as they would have in a car designed to charge them.

I've stuck with ACDelco batteries and have no complaints. My Sierra's last 48PS 30-Month battery lasted 5 years and 8 months. Replaced it with a 48GHR which has similar specs to yours. The 48HPG in the Yukon is now 2 years old and in top form according to the Tech-2 and BCM.

It seems that the 48GHR is the replacement for the 48HPG.

OP
OP
Charlie207

Charlie207

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let us know how it works out over the years. Our charging systems were not designed for AGM batteries and so they usually don't last as long as they would have in a car designed to charge them.

I've stuck with ACDelco batteries and have no complaints. My Sierra's last 48PS 30-Month battery lasted 5 years and 8 months. Replaced it with a 48GHR which has similar specs to yours. The 48HPG in the Yukon is now 2 years old and in top form according to the Tech-2 and BCM.

It seems that the 48GHR is the replacement for the 48HPG.

I probably won't have this truck in 4-5 years because rust eats all the nice things up here. But the battery has free replacement, and as long as it doesn't catch on fire I'll be happy.

Onlyone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just found this battery at my favorite European car parts website for $60-100 less than everywhere else, plus free shipping. I also remembered that I had some rewards $$$ on a CC, so it cost me $150 all-in, and get rewards $$ back.

Link if anyone else is interested: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/automotive-battery-group-48-odyssey-48-720

(It rememinds me that I need to replace all the brake lines and suspension components on my BMW project car.... fck)
Damn that’s a good price! It’s made in the USA and can take a beating. Doesn’t matter how cold or how many times it’s discharged. Great battery.

OP
OP
Charlie207

Charlie207

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Battery came today, and in 5 minutes I had it installed. I noticed that the LED bar light wasn't working for the last couple weeks, and I figured that it was junk. After installing the new battery it turns on again, so maybe my old battery was actually that bad.... It had been starting quickly, so I assumed the general state of the electrical system was starting to crumble.

We'll see how this battery does.

2GA7Bhj.jpg
eJxKEMf.jpg

Thanks Onlyone for the half-serious suggestion, it sent me down a rabbit hole, and I ended up finding this for a pretty good deal.

Last edited:

mikeseay

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can buy these at Costco or Sams Club a heck of a lot cheaper than you can at batteries plus. And free install…
They are my last choice when nobody else has it, certainly not my first choice..
I just purchased an Interstate battery from Costco, they only sell batteries and do not install batteries. Sam’s Club does I start and sells the Duracell brand. Both have and try to push the AGM batteries but I’ve had issues with 2 of them before so till they improve I’ll stick with lead acid. As a kid back in the 70’s I installed batteries a Sears. 3 of us put in 94 batteries my firs day at work…. Quite an experience.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Looks like EastPenn makes the Duracell brand. It's 20% off currently, and my battery (unknown age) is testing at 38% capacity. It still starts fine, but I'm wondering if it's time to swap out before I'm left cold and stranded. I just installed a new GM/AC Delco 160 amp alternator, and got paid today so.....
you can get a good interstate battery from costco for around $160

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luggz