wiring a 50'' light bar

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chezoom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got a 50" today, need to wire it up. I know nothing about wiring. do I need relays or fuses? its 300 watt. what guage wire to?

Attachments

• led.jpg
    led.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 25

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Use a relay and you will want an inline fuse

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
this is the bar. Got it as a christmas present.
http://www.amazon.com/CREE-inch-Lig...=1420223372&sr=8-1&keywords=50''+led+lightbar

---------- Post added at 02:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:30 PM ----------

thinking of buying this,
http://www.amazon.com/OPT7®-On-Off-...im_auto_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=0NSDHC5Z9CFM70HR872K

The amazon kit or quality equivalent will suffice.

---------- Post added at 10:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:26 AM ----------

You have factory fogs? You can wire it directly to those.

Uh, no you can't. You would cause immediate electrical problems by doing so. At 12v that light sucks up a minimum of 25 amps.

MotoCARR

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The link to the light bar does not give any tech specs as far as the power consumption of the light bar. Pretty sure it would state in the manual watts, amps, and voltage(most likely just 12v). I have a feeling the 300 watt claim is just a point of reference somehow as to the power equivalent to what this light bar is supposed to be capable of. The wiring kit that SunlitComet posted will most likely be overkill for your application but no harm in using it, it will definitely work!

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Uh, no you can't. You would cause immediate electrical problems by doing so. At 12v that light sucks up a minimum of 25 amps.

Yes you can, if done properly the fog light switch would just provide the signal to the relay which would then power on the lights.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
Dreski did not make it clear that was he was referring too. Technically IMO in the context of the discussion he suggested wiring the light directly to the fogs. Your method would work too however in the interest of electrical engineering, power and light control it would be best that a fog light control did not control a off-road light directly. Even if it was just controlling a relay. It is better that the light relay have its own switch control with control of power passage to the switch only be active when headlights and ignition are on. This would also bring in compliance the system as it relates to state and federal motor vehicle laws.

---------- Post added at 02:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:11 PM ----------

The link to the light bar does not give any tech specs as far as the power consumption of the light bar. Pretty sure it would state in the manual watts, amps, and voltage(most likely just 12v). I have a feeling the 300 watt claim is just a point of reference somehow as to the power equivalent to what this light bar is supposed to be capable of. The wiring kit that SunlitComet posted will most likely be overkill for your application but no harm in using it, it will definitely work!

You know the link to the product manual? I have not found one so I take the side of caution. The best equivalent I can get more details on is the on rough country's website which is as close as I can find so far.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Richie255