Window trim removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

red02chevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any one removed their window trim? I want to get mine painted but don't want to damage every piece in the process.

8499cc7f1e92d547bb71ade0a3a680f7.jpg

blackout07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First of all, sweet ride!

I pulled this from another forum concerning the 14+ trucks, but it should be basically the same process for our SUVs.

step 1: roll down all the windows.

step 2: remove torx screw located in the door jam towards the rear of the doors on the front two doors (torx screw is on the front of the doors in the door jam on the back two doors. you have to pull back the weather stripping a little bit to see them. to pull the weather stripping back the edge is help on by a body pin. I used dikes and a towel so I didn't scratch the paint when prying the body pin out. then pull the weather stripping back like 2" and you will see the torx screw.)

step 3: using a long but thin flathead look between the window and the trim and you will see some white clips. you will have to use your fingers to pull the window back a little to get the screw driver between the window and trim in order to get to the clips. there are two grooves on the bottom of the clips (kinda like hooks) put the screw driver in there and pry them back towards the window and at the same time pull trim up. repeat this step three more times per trim (total of 4 clips that are evenly spaced out).

step 4: once all the clips are out, pull the trim towards the back of the truck to get it out from behind the mirror and it will slide right out. for the back doors trim I believe it is opposite when sliding the trim off or it may just come straight up.

step 5: do the exact opposite to reinstall the trim.

WARNING: do not try and force the trim up as the clips "lip" that hold on to the door is very small and can be broken very easily. pry on the clip bring the bottom of the clip towards the window and if it is fully released the trim will come up very easily, no force needed. also becareful when using a metal object to pry because im sure you cold potentially crack, chip or break your window.

Turbotoys

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The trim is now riveted to the door and has to be drilled out to remove them - I just had to replace one that was dented from the factory. Its still pretty easy though - you'll just need a rivet gun to put them back on.

Steve1081

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much is yours lowered? And what size tires? Looks great!

Hooty

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Do you have a picture of what you ended up doing?

Rmayrap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
why not just tape around and plasti dip?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonnybalo