Who's Towing a Boat ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Coming from a 2014 Sierra All Terrain, my 16 yukon tows just as well if not better. With the tow package and the auto leveling, it feels solid on the road. However, the mirrors and visibility suck compared to the truck. The mirrors on the Sierra are bigger. I'm going to try swapping the current mirrors to the escalade mirrors. Looks like adding the cams to the mirrors made them quite a bit bigger. Just need the $$ for that project!

I'm pulling about 6500# depending how much we throw in the boat during the tow.

IMG_2006_zpssaaixql9.jpg

mtocrs1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Coming from a 2014 Sierra All Terrain, my 16 yukon tows just as well if not better. With the tow package and the auto leveling, it feels solid on the road. However, the mirrors and visibility suck compared to the truck. The mirrors on the Sierra are bigger. I'm going to try swapping the current mirrors to the escalade mirrors. Looks like adding the cams to the mirrors made them quite a bit bigger. Just need the $$ for that project!

IMG_2006_zpssaaixql9.jpg
After seeing yours. Mine must have to much tongue weight for the air bags....
Mine still squats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shadow17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After seeing yours. Mine must have to much tongue weight for the air bags....
Mine still squats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What is your tongue weight? I believe mine is 225#ish. When I bought mine, that is the way the dealer set it up.

OP
OP
Yukon John

Yukon John

Full Access Member
Reaction score

IMG_2006_zpssaaixql9.jpg

Well you certainly got my attention regarding the mirrors. Let us know what you find regarding the Escalade mirrors and I will research also and report back.

I'm pulling a Formula 255 Liberator and my total towing length is over 30'.

DSC_0111_zps0195b8ba.jpg

With the stock mirrors I cant see past the front trailer axle...VERY SCARY !!! I cringe every time I turn a corner or change lanes !!

Reaction score
I bet that Formula looks huge behind a Yukon! I can imagine what they say on a boat forum. Bet its along the lines of "you're gonna need a diesel to pull that".

My setup is about 26' long, so I can still see just to the end of the trailer on the road. It's backing up where I have the biggest issue. If I have to make any kind of tight turn backing up, I loose my trailer in the mirrors and the blind spots on the side block as well. I'm hoping the Escalade mirror is big enough. They are about 340 per mirror, so i'll probably just get one and try it.

Here is a link to the Escalade mirror.. http://www.gmpartshouse.com/cadilla...rs-****/?part_name=mirror-assy&position=right

undertaker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
pretty disappointing that the aftermarket hasn't come out with extension mirrors yet. On the suburban (living in NYC I went with power fold vs tow mirrors) I picked some up shortly after buying the truck (july of 07) which was a necessity with a 24 ft enclosed car trailer (which I had on the truck with less than 100 miles on it, so much for breakin). These new trucks have been on the road even longer than that, you would honestly think something is out there. I have to say even the caddy mirrors on the wife's truck are small compared to the previous body style. Haven't hooked a trailer to the caddy yet (since the stupid thing doesn't have an integrated brake controller and I haven't picked up an aftermarket one).

Also on tongue weight its usually supposed to be somewhere in the 10% range. Towing car trailers, moving the car (load) a few inches can drastically change the attitude of the trailer, a light tongue looks to sway, but a heavy tongue stays planted. (with electric brakes you can get away with weight distribution, surge not so much) I will say having a 35ft sonic on a triple axle set for a 32 with a light tongue my suburban was not happy.

scorpiontrailer.jpg

sonictrailer.jpg

Suburban looks like a toy with these big pigs.

OP
OP
Yukon John

Yukon John

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bet that Formula looks huge behind a Yukon! I can imagine what they say on a boat forum. Bet its along the lines of "you're gonna need a diesel to pull that".

My setup is about 26' long, so I can still see just to the end of the trailer on the road. It's backing up where I have the biggest issue. If I have to make any kind of tight turn backing up, I loose my trailer in the mirrors and the blind spots on the side block as well. I'm hoping the Escalade mirror is big enough. They are about 340 per mirror, so i'll probably just get one and try it.

Here is a link to the Escalade mirror.. http://www.gmpartshouse.com/cadilla...rs-****/?part_name=mirror-assy&position=right

I hear you on the diesel...LOL...but surprisingly it does a good job.

I'm down for the Caddy Mirrors...if they fit !! I sure was hoping the Sierra/Silverado mirrors would cross over but the doors are slightly different.

I really am disappointed that GM didn't think this towing mirror issue thru. This time of year it's common to see dozens of Long WB GM SUV's pulling Camping Trailers in and out of Florida. I am keeping my eyes open all the time to see what they are using for mirrors.

undertaker

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I'm down for the Caddy Mirrors...if they fit !! I sure was hoping the Sierra/Silverado mirrors would cross over but the doors are slightly different.

I really am disappointed that GM didn't think this towing mirror issue thru. This time of year it's common to see dozens of Long WB GM SUV's pulling Camping Trailers in and out of Florida. I am keeping my eyes open all the time to see what they are using for mirrors.

of course GM forgets about SUV's towing, thats why its been 17 years since you could get a diesel SUV.

Reaction score

Typical GM, they do some things really well and others not so much. I looked at all the add on mirrors and they look so crappy. I'm also wondering if the caddy mirrors could be integrated with this system (if it could be added to a Yukon/Tahoe). http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/top...duces-four-camera-system-for-14-16-silverado/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gradymossx4