Whoop/Squeak when hard accelerating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaytizzle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure which category this should be under.

It got moved to Engine but the sound is coming from underneath.

I have a 2011 Tahoe 2WD

So i've been getting this " whoop/Squeak " sound coming from somewhere underneath but I can't figure out. where.

It happens pretty often when I'm cruising and decide to hard accelerate.

When I ease into the throttle, it's fine. It's when I decide to punch it, is when I hear it.

Any experience this?

Thanks

JT

RobbyD

Reaction score
I'm having this problem as well on my 2007 LTZ. Any help would be appreciated.

OP
OP
Jaytizzle

Jaytizzle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm having this problem as well on my 2007 LTZ. Any help would be appreciated.

I haven't been able to find any kind of info on this.

I'm assuming it's a bushing somewhere.

shoplizard

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I can't say I have seen a 2WD Takoe, but the symptoms sound the same as with a 4WD. As you accelerate the rear differential tips down pulling the drive line slip yoke out, when you decelerate it is pushed back into trans mission. If this slip yoke sleeve, bushing and/ or seal are dry and/or worn, this motion could cause a noise. You might try removing the rear prop shaft and clean and polish the slip surface and lube the inside splines with high-pressure grease and outside surface with ATF reistsll the rear shaft and test drive under the same conditions. I hope this helps.

OP
OP
Jaytizzle

Jaytizzle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't say I have seen a 2WD Takoe, but the symptoms sound the same as with a 4WD. As you accelerate the rear differential tips down pulling the drive line slip yoke out, when you decelerate it is pushed back into trans mission. If this slip yoke sleeve, bushing and/ or seal are dry and/or worn, this motion could cause a noise. You might try removing the rear prop shaft and clean and polish the slip surface and lube the inside splines with high-pressure grease and outside surface with ATF reistsll the rear shaft and test drive under the same conditions. I hope this helps.

Thanks for the info.

Ill have that checked out

OP
OP
Jaytizzle

Jaytizzle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bumping this thread up...

So, I was hoping it was just a bushing somewhere. I decided to upgrade by front and rear sway bars from DJM and replace the front and rear links from MOOG. ( I was looking at doing this already before the noise ).

Of course the vehicle felt AMAZING with the upgrade but of course, that " Chirp/Whoop " sound is still there.

So after doing some research, I don't think it's the suspension but possibly the " Flapper Valve " on the exhaust. It looks like a lot of the 2015+ guys were having this type of sound issue. Maybe it's the same sound?

I have not had a chance to look at this yet but I'm assuming the exhaust was the same?? I could be wrong.

Any info is much appreciated.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bumping this thread up...

So, I was hoping it was just a bushing somewhere. I decided to upgrade by front and rear sway bars from DJM and replace the front and rear links from MOOG. ( I was looking at doing this already before the noise ).

Of course the vehicle felt AMAZING with the upgrade but of course, that " Chirp/Whoop " sound is still there.

So after doing some research, I don't think it's the suspension but possibly the " Flapper Valve " on the exhaust. It looks like a lot of the 2015+ guys were having this type of sound issue. Maybe it's the same sound?

I have not had a chance to look at this yet but I'm assuming the exhaust was the same?? I could be wrong.

Any info is much appreciated.
Dont have flapper on 07-14’s as far as i know.
See if u can get a sound clip
Nothing loose on intake under hood or on the exhaust anywhere?
Coud be a broken motor mount and a broken exhaust manifold bolt

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
only sound like that I have heard is when you floor it and then the belts slip when it shift gears but you have to be pretty rough on it to make it do that (I've got plenty of experience in that department) I haven't made my nnbs do it (yet) but my nbs would do it if I floored it hard. otherwise I would probably suspect a broken motor mount or something loose on the chassis as well

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTN_KDA