Where to start? 97 Yukon noob

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97purplekon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Im new to the forum thing, and new to building/trying to build. I’ve done basic mechanical things. Brakes, a/c replacement, axle swaps but nothing really too large. I was wanting to break into the larger things like upgrading my suspension, ls swapping my tired old girl, and all around learning the intricacies of building. My question is where do I start? How did some of you learn what all goes into swapping an engine? Or what parts work with different engines. Things of that nature. I have read quite a few posts so far, and it seems like the guys on these forums are very knowledge, and frankly quite a bit friendlier than other groups I have looked at. It seems like everyone here knows so much and I haven’t got a clue. Anyone have tips on how to start learning how to build? I know it’s mostly first hand knowledge, but I’m looking for reading material or videos that kind of thing. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

OP
OP

97purplekon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If it helps, I would like to ls swap my truck and keep the 4wd drive. After about two hours of googling and using the search function, I can’t seem to find a definitive answer.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome, as with anything, like i tell my kids, just keep reading, info is out there just gotta find it. Personally id start with a full donor vehicle, something wrecked but with everything there...

Todd R

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
A 97 will be a great chassis to start with. My experience will help in some degree, but my biggest question is ,why are you choosing to do this build to an LS on a LT chassis. I know the upgrade is fantastic,but is a little complicated with electronics. I love the square bodies myself ,and have thought about this many times. If you have a good donor like a wrecked truck and all the electronics it can be alot easier and cheaper. Buying all that stuff piece by piece is pricey. With that said it's not so hard and tuning is simple.

RET423

Full Access Member
Reaction score
An LS motor will mount to most Chevy transmissions so your 4x4 running gear can remain intact.

The issue is basically the physical fitment of the engine, everyone deals with the same few hurdles;
Oil pan clearance
Exhaust clearance
Steering clearance
Accessory drive clearance

For some of the more popular swaps there are full kits that address these issues pretty well, the electronics are only a big headache if you decide to use a modified factory harness and computer.

This works well but is tedious and you should have some software like Hptuner that can delete all the circuits that you don't want to preserve in the swap vehicle (secondary O2 sensors, EGR, VATS and probably the EVAP as well).

I like the EVAP, I just don't want my computer babysitting it.

But there are aftermarket harnesses that have already been built with those circuits deleted and that are designed to mount the ECM inside the car on the firewall, the companies that make these usually offer the service of modding the ECM for you as well so the electronics are pretty painless.

Your last issues will be fuel pressure and engine cooling, if the car you are modding already has a fuel injection fuel pump you are good to go; if not there are many aftermarket pumps that make this pretty straightforward.

Many times the radiator that was in the donor vehicle can used in the project, there are also many good Aluminum radiators are also available.

If you can fabricate you can do most of this without buying the "bolt on" solutions, it just depends on how dirty you want to get :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BWASTEEZE