When should I get rid of my 6.0?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bowtie_Beast

Reaction score
So, I have a 2004 Yukon XL Denali with a 6.0, of course. I bought it almost 4 years ago with just over 210,000 miles. It now has almost 277,000. It runs well, but I've put some money into it along the way. Took care of most the leaks, but it burns oil. I get a big puff of white/blue smoke when I start it after it's been sitting after running hard. I've also had to add oil between the past few oil changes. This last time I added a quart at about 1,500 because it said check oil level. The check oil level light came on again the day before I took it in for an oil change and there was no oil on the dipstick!

Just curious when I should think about getting rid of it. I was thinking in the spring anyway, but then decided to keep it because we want to do some things with the house, but now I'm not sure. The shop put in a cocktail of oil cleaners/conditioners with the oil change to see if it helps.

What should I do?

Thanks for your input!

OP
OP
Bowtie_Beast

Bowtie_Beast

Reaction score
Forgot to mention. The body is rusted out underneath and getting bad by the rear wheel wells. I just converted up the rust with some rust stop and black paint and some black gorilla tape lol. Frame is very rusty. Tech said there is a hole rusted through in one spot a crack in another and bent in another.

Devilmk4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would get rid of it. If its rusting out is not worth investing more on it. I have an 01 with 277k but is a cali truck so i have no rust anywhere so am going to be rebuilding this coming winter.

RaiderRodney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, the motor needing rebuilt is one thing. Rust is another...I'd probably bail soon as well and find a cleaner one.

David Smith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Forgot to mention. The body is rusted out underneath and getting bad by the rear wheel wells. I just converted up the rust with some rust stop and black paint and some black gorilla tape lol. Frame is very rusty. Tech said there is a hole rusted through in one spot a crack in another and bent in another.
It sounds to me like you already have your mind made up. Are you trying to find reasons to keep it?

I would for sure ditch it and find another one or something else.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Money can solve any rust issue! How much sentimental attachment do you have to the truck? If not enough to replace the frame and rusted body parts, put the old girl out to pasture.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia

Latest posts