whats your ideal tire pressure??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TSFR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interestly enough, Michigan State Police recommends Tahoe pressure to be set at 44PSI.
I will say that running higher pressures will aid in better fuel economy because of less rolling resistance but also less contact patch. Some hypermilers (ie treehuggers) recommend as much as 90 psi.

Science agrees, safety board probably not so much...

JochenWoern

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interestly enough, Michigan State Police recommends Tahoe pressure to be set at 44PSI.
I will say that running higher pressures will aid in better fuel economy because of less rolling resistance but also less contact patch. Some hypermilers (ie treehuggers) recommend as much as 90 psi.

Science agrees, safety board probably not so much...

So what pressure do you run Jeff? 44 or 90????? ;)

TSFR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
44psi.... They went through all the trouble of printing a little sticker and everything. I didnt want to chance fate :lol:

afpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tsfr,

i have michelin ltx's on mine and 44 psi is max i think, but i go with 35 psi which is stock recommendation on the plackard. what tires you running? i saw your link and looked at your ride...very clean. i like the rear bumper guard, not seen those often. i have to ask, where's the laptop? your front passenger space looks too clean lol.

TSFR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tsfr,

i have michelin ltx's on mine and 44 psi is max i think, but i go with 35 psi which is stock recommendation on the plackard. what tires you running? i saw your link and looked at your ride...very clean. i like the rear bumper guard, not seen those often. i have to ask, where's the laptop? your front passenger space looks too clean lol.

LOL Man dont make me lie, thats how I got. SUPER clean truck! I couldnt be happier with the choice. I am a minor techy but no laptop tray. I am however building a secure drawer in the back with a sliding shelf on top. Just deep enough to store my gun case out of sight while we are out going to and from the range. In case we stop for dinner or something, I didnt want it to be as easy as breaking the glass and running away with it.

Ninety5PoloZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would suggest to run what the tire says, not whats on the door. Chevy put the tire pressure there to offer the "best" ride, not having anything to do with what the tire manufacture recommends. My tires say 44 psi max so I put 40 psi in there to allow the tires to warm up to ~44psi.

What if someone puts a heavy duty tire on their truck...say something that recommends 80 psi, I definitely wouldn't run 35psi in it

JochenWoern

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would suggest to run what the tire says, not whats on the door. Chevy put the tire pressure there to offer the "best" ride, not having anything to do with what the tire manufacture recommends. My tires say 44 psi max so I put 40 psi in there to allow the tires to warm up to ~44psi.

What if someone puts a heavy duty tire on their truck...say something that recommends 80 psi, I definitely wouldn't run 35psi in it

Sorry, but I disagree with you here. Maximum pressure is what the tire is rated for under loaded/MAXIMUM conditions. It does not mean that the air pressure in the tire should be at MAXIMUM for maximum performance. The max. pressure on the sidewall is certainly not a "recommended" pressure.

The tire manufacturer also does not know under what conditions the tire runs. What I am trying to say is, the tire could be installed on any vehicle (within reason of course) and could therefore have a lighter vehcile weight or a heavier vehicle weight on it. The max. pressure on the tire sidewall is based on what the tire can handle, not on what the best pressure for best performance of the tire is.

If you are running your tire under normal, not loaded conditions at the max. pressure, I can almost guarantee you that you are not getting maximum wear out of your tires.

This thread should also answer some of your questions: http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33613

Last edited:

Vincesrg03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agree^^

Most tire manufacturerers give you a max high pressure. I would always try to see what works out for you. Example my 22 inch tires say max air pressure 55 psi cold at full load, 3500 lbs. If i used my yuk everyday to tow a trailer i would run them at about 50 psi, to allow for some expansion. I got them for everyday use at 35 psi, and it works for me. Ive run them at 30, 40, 45, but found that 35 for everyday gives me the best ride. If i am going to tow i adjust the psi, depending on how heavy the trailer is.:Handshake:

Ninety5PoloZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just what I have been told, and I will continue to do as I always have. My tires are currently set at 40psi cold on all of my vehicles. My Taurus I got rid of suggested 32psi and thats what the tire installer put in the tires. I will say that the ride was scary and "loose" I put them up to 40psi and they were great.

:cheers:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia

Latest posts