whats your ideal tire pressure??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
dealer set all mine to 32 psi before my alignment. they look too low tho. i usually keep them so they are right around 40 psi when they are hot. so 36 psi cold. is this bad you think..?? its just in my head that my gas mileage goes up when they are higher. i dont tow tho.

JochenWoern

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dealer set all mine to 32 psi before my alignment. they look too low tho. i usually keep them so they are right around 40 psi when they are hot. so 36 psi cold. is this bad you think..?? its just in my head that my gas mileage goes up when they are higher. i dont tow tho.

Depending on what tire you run, you may have the correct air pressure. iI had the same question before and was informed that 32 psi COLD on my tires (see my signature) is the way to go if you want the tire to last. You will have to check this all the time and stay on top of it.

High air presseure equals higher MPG's, so this is NOT just in your head. It depends if you want better gas mileage or your tire to last longer, your choice.

I stick with the 32 psi COLD, as buying a new set of tires quicker hurts me more then an additional 5 bucks at the pump.

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
Im running about psi 40 for my winter 17s and 35psi for summer tires. I like to add a little extra air for the winter because every 10 degrees in temp drop, tires loose about 1psi of air

ATL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
overall ideal, what the truck was engineered to have, is on your placard on the drivers door. it recommends size and pressure

BlackZ-HO

Reaction score
So if im running 33's(cepek mud countrys) and its getting warmer where i live what tire pressure should i run that is ideal.

605Jake123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
like what JochenWoern said higher pressure is better for mileage but it all depends on what tire size and style you go with. over inflation wears the center of the tire and under inflation wears the outsideds of the tire. So if you have the stock size it is ideal that you go with what your drivers door says. on my impala i used to keep it at the high end even a little higher and i got better gas mileage but my tires wore a lot faster and the tires on my tahoe are a lot more expensive so it wouldn't make any sense for me to run them high because i would end up replacing them faster

Campi3ell

Reaction score
32 "looked" too low for me also, even though the truck rode fine. With temps changing so often here in ATL I have learned to up the psi to 35 to compensate for any loss. ride is a bit better (on-ramps, curvy roads, etc) and gas mileage has upped slightly

TheYuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been running 36psi cold on my 285's. It seems to ride better and handle a little better. But I still think its to low, tires just look a little flat. And if I run 32 or 36 my fuel mileage is still ******, but I don't drive it for fuel mileage. I drive it for comfort and function.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz