What type of oil for 03 Tahoe?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
G

guero1197

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I know it's late but thanks for every ones responses. I've been doing 5w-30 for a while now, dexos 2 mobile 1 synthetic, trucks runs just fine and is getting her oil changes with 5w-30 since this was posted. Thanks again.

Chubbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FYI it is "1 dexos"
That big swoosh just makes the trademark insignia look like a '2'
There is a 2dexos but that is a formulation for Diesel engines

http://www.centerforqa.com/dexos-brands/

A guy on Craigslist sold me an unopened case of AC Delco 5w30 1dexos full syn for $30

No idea what the previous owner last had it filled with but never had to add anything driving it since April.

So far so good after 1-month of running the full synthetic; I haven't checked in a while but the truck has around 128k miles on it.
IMG_2529.JPG

Last edited:

BlueCollarTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i got an 04...not sure what the previous owner has been putting in it...but i switched to Mobil 1 full syn. no issues related to the oil. put about 11k miles just under a year with oil changes consistently 3k miles. im happy with it for what it is worth.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Use 20w50 if u have over 150k and get another 150k easily

I put 20w50 in my 1996 Impala SS and thought the engine was going to blow up upon starting it up when cold..Went back to Mobil 1 5w30 and all was back to normal..Put 300K miles on it.

BTW I have never used high mileage oil in any vehicle and put 300K miles on just about all my vehicles.

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
5w30 on my escalade and has over 200k. stepside same story but run royal purple

BlueCollarTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
am going to run the high mileage for a couple cycles of the Mobil 1 synthentic starting next oil change btw.

mals

Full Access Member
Reaction score
am going to run the high mileage for a couple cycles of the Mobil 1 synthentic starting next oil change btw.
I think that generally once you start in on high mileage formulations you should stick with them. They have seal conditioners that help old seals "plump" to fill worn tolerance. Seals can then wear in again to seat to current gaps. If you stop with the high mileage oil there is the potential for seals to shrink back and then have larger gaps than when you started.

That being said, I started with a high mileage oil when I purchased my Yukon which had 155k last year.

BlueCollarTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think that generally once you start in on high mileage formulations you should stick with them. They have seal conditioners that help old seals "plump" to fill worn tolerance. Seals can then wear in again to seat to current gaps. If you stop with the high mileage oil there is the potential for seals to shrink back and then have larger gaps than when you started.

That being said, I started with a high mileage oil when I purchased my Yukon which had 155k last year.

you make a good point there. whats the lowest mileage youd start using it on? 100k? 120k?

mals

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you make a good point there. whats the lowest mileage youd start using it on? 100k? 120k?
I use Penzoil Platinum High Mileage Synthetic and it says for vehicles over 75k. I know that is just marketing, but since there is no difference in price I see no reason to question it.

I started using it since I noticed a few minor leaks when I first purchased my Yukon. I think it has stopped most of them, and slowed the leak on my main rear seal to a minor drip. Last oil change I was down less than half a quart after a 5000 mile oil and filter change.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrSpork