what oil??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tahoe803

Reaction score
07 5.3

What engine oil should I be using? It's got 100k mikes on it. I've changed it once and put penzoil conventional in it...and how often should I change it? 4k Miles ok??

Thanks for any info!

Milkyyukon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I put 5w30 in mine. I use partially synthetic but since you have higher miles than me(83,000) I would do mobile one. It's popular for a reason. Just shop around. I know it's cheaper at Walmart than autozone. Also if you get a full synthetic oil make sure you get a good filter. They make fram ones for high miles which are made for synthetic oil use. It's only like 2 bucks more than the standard one. Good luck

---------- Post added at 06:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:05 PM ----------

I would also do every 3k. That's just me. But with over 100k better to be safe than sorry.

OP
OP
Tahoe803

Tahoe803

Reaction score
Sounds good. Thanks a lot. I just didn't know if I should be using a synthetic or not. I've hears its not good to switch back and forth? Idk what oil the previous owner was using. So I should just stick with conventional 5w 30? And one more thing...I just hit 5000 miles since my last oil change and I got a "engine oil low....add oil" sign on the dash. The truck doesn't leak oil from what I can tell. No drip spots on the driveway ...so is it just using the oil that much?

jason78

Reaction score
Here is my experience with my truck- I have 210K on my 05 Silverado with same 5.3 engine (although not VVT). I bought the truck new and ran conventional Dino oil until about 140K then switched to Full Synthetic Mobil One High Mileage. I started with the 3-4K oil changes at first but soon started doing it when the DIC said Change Oil which is generally around 7K between changes and I think that is OK with the full synthetic. When you do the change are you adding 6 quarts? I have heard of people only adding 5 since that is what many of the small blocks used to take. Yours should take 6 but you should confirm in the capacities section of your owners manual. Mine takes 6 quarts and it normally gets a quart or so low toward the end of the oil change cycle and started this around 120K. I don't have any major leaks but my rear main seal is starting to drip every now and then but not enough to mark the driveway yet so I must assume the engine is burning that quart.

It is true the conventional wisdom I have always been told was once you switch to Synthetic, do not switch back to Dino. My 2011 Tahoe came factory filled with Full Synthetic so it requires all changes to be Full Syn.

Hope this helps.

OP
OP
Tahoe803

Tahoe803

Reaction score
Well I changed it today. Put 6 quarts of Mobil 1 full synthetic 5w 30 in. We'll see how it does. I read a lot of people switch back and forth and its perfectly fine.

tlsnokuyeulb

Reaction score
I've gone back and forth on my other cars several times. Went conventional when $$ was tight then synthetic when I got back up. The ford has 176k miles and the Toyota has 250k+ and still run with no problems. Granted they are older, the toyo is 91 and the ford is 01. The po for my yukon put Royal Purple so I think I'll stick with that until I get some amsoil. I plan on taking this one to 200k or so.

jason78

Reaction score
Well I changed it today. Put 6 quarts of Mobil 1 full synthetic 5w 30 in. We'll see how it does. I read a lot of people switch back and forth and its perfectly fine.

Agreed, I personally have no idea for sure if switching back and forth between dino and syn will hurt or not but just going by what countless mechanics have told me so I figure it is more than just "urban legend".

Honestly, I am not really sure why anyone would switch back and forth anyway. Generally, I would think if someone is switching to synthetic, there is a good reason considering the price difference. If they make the decision to switch to synthetic it does not seem logical to me they would re think it later, then re think going back to syn, then back to dino again, etc. I think most would agree that it is probably better to just stick with Dino permanently than switch back and forth. I guess results will vary.

jason78

Reaction score
Doesn't it come from factory with synthetic blend??

I was told by the dealer it was Full Syn. That is all I know. Based on the fact that many of the Dexos1 Certified Oils appear to be Synthetic, I would say it is likely. I have noticed that some people use the term "Full Synthetic" when describing both Full and Blend so that is always a possibility.

Here are the Dexos1 Oils for 2011+

http://www.gmdexos.com/licensedbrands/dexos1licensedbrands.html

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmoade