what oil Brand do you use on your Rig?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone know how accurate the "Oil Life percentage" in the gmt900's is, I run RP and change it every 10k (6200 miles). Just curious if anyone goes by that.

I do but change it when it says 50% cuz that's usually around 3k miles

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
The gmt900 must be replaced at a minimum of 10k or 12 months regardless of indicator light. Its function is a accumulation of data such as engine hrs and temps among other things in some systems. So if it tells you to do it it is best that you do. Under the best running conditions it may wait a long time to indicate it but if it seems like it does that all the time under even severe driving have a dealer check it out.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Use NAPA brand oil, it is Valvoline so no problems there. Use NAPA brand filters because I like WIX and that is who makes the filters for NAPA. Several vehicles over the years and never had a problem. Change the oil at 5k intervals. Use good quality oil and filter and you can skip the 3k threshold.

mattluttrell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use the cheapest oil. I believe staying on top of the oil changes (especially in axles, transmissions and transfer cases) is more important than brand. I'll even run cheap Valvoline or AutoZone brand in the BMW which "requires" expensive synthetic.

I've never had anything fail or have any damage. I've seen others have failures due to neglect; not the label on their oil.
I need to modify my answer. Since I've upgraded my two main cars I now use Mobile full synthetic 0W-40 in both the BMW and Tahoe. It is around $26 a jug at Walmart.

sgtpoliteness

Reaction score
Just replaced the oil and filter in my new-to-me '96. I used a factory filter and Castrol Edge 5w30 full synthetic. Truck has 209k on it. I'll keep everyone informed of how it goes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dotwell69

Latest posts