What Motor Oil is everybody using?????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

McDermut

Reaction score
Is there any disadvantage/harm in using a plain AC Delco filter designated for my car? Or are there better options to go with if I run Mobil 1 full synthetic 10W30?

And should I bother with an oil additive? If so, which and why?

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
Is there any disadvantage/harm in using a plain AC Delco filter designated for my car? Or are there better options to go with if I run Mobil 1 full synthetic 10W30?

And should I bother with an oil additive? If so, which and why?
I don’t know of you realized this was a thread from 2010? You might get more responses starting a new one.

Last question first, I don’t believe in additives. Maybe decades ago, but modern oils have everything needed in the bottle.

For a well aged engine, the one thing I would NOT do is long intervals between oil changes. Because as rings wear etc. you’re getting higher levels of contamination than in a fresher engine. So change oil frequently is the main thing. Better to use Walmart Supertech at 3k miles than buy expensive name brands and eke out extended oil changes. No matter what oil used, it can only suspend a certain amount of contamination, and once that’s exceeded, you’ll be depositing sludge in the engine.

Filters are always an interesting topic, many brand names are sold out of a relatively few factories. My .02 is as long as you’re not buying the cheapest 2$ filters on sale then the middle tier are all quite good. Nothing wrong with AC Delco. And probably little to no benefit from more expensive options.

McDermut

Reaction score
I don’t know of you realized this was a thread from 2010? You might get more responses starting a new one.

Last question first, I don’t believe in additives. Maybe decades ago, but modern oils have everything needed in the bottle.

For a well aged engine, the one thing I would NOT do is long intervals between oil changes. Because as rings wear etc. you’re getting higher levels of contamination than in a fresher engine. So change oil frequently is the main thing. Better to use Walmart Supertech at 3k miles than buy expensive name brands and eke out extended oil changes. No matter what oil used, it can only suspend a certain amount of contamination, and once that’s exceeded, you’ll be depositing sludge in the engine.

Filters are always an interesting topic, many brand names are sold out of a relatively few factories. My .02 is as long as you’re not buying the cheapest 2$ filters on sale then the middle tier are all quite good. Nothing wrong with AC Delco. And probably little to no benefit from more expensive options.

I did realize that, and I'll probably make a new one I just wanted to give this thread a refresh. I've heard that as well, and it's not been very long since my last oil change but I think its time. I'll probably just stick with AC Delco, its been working for me so far.

YukonGTmaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did realize that, and I'll probably make a new one I just wanted to give this thread a refresh. I've heard that as well, and it's not been very long since my last oil change but I think its time. I'll probably just stick with AC Delco, its been working for me so far.

I use Pennzoil 5W30, and Fram filters. The 5L jug comes on sale every couple weeks, and I pick up 2 when I am about to do an oil change. I have to replace the oil pan gasket, so I don’t have to keep adding so much between changes.

1BADI5

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Royal Purple 10w30 HMX with a quart of Lucus synthetic oil treatment.

Not because of a worn motor, but build motor

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pepper1700