Normal Motor Oil Usage?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seeing a quart of motor oil needed about 3000 miles after recent changes using 5w30 in 130,000 mile 5.3 Tahoe.
Is that a normal amount?
I don't see leaks or smoke from the exhaust.
I've been trying different oils lately but so far the two latest are showing the same condition. Perhaps it's just normal old age (15 yrs).

Edit: Seems I mistyped. It's 4000 miles for the quart.

Last edited:

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
post up your year/info etc
that will help determine if you have the updated pcv/valve cover system

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seeing a quart of motor oil needed about 3000 miles after recent changes using 5w30 in 130,000 mile 5.3 Tahoe.
Is that a normal amount?
I don't see leaks or smoke from the exhaust.
I've been trying different oils lately but so far the two latest are showing the same condition. Perhaps it's just normal old age (15 yrs).

An LS engine consuming oil is "normal" as in "common", but that doesn't mean it's healthy and should be accepted or ignored. What should be ignored is GM's specs for how much consumption is allowed. A quart every 3,000 miles on a 130K-mile engine would be normal and expected on an engine from the 70s or before that has been ran hard. I would not accept it on something this new. GM identified some problem areas and engineered some improvements. Oil consumption can lead to nasty wear and internal damage. So, the sooner you alleviate or resolve the issue, the better. I wouldn't consider 130K on a well-maintained LS to be "old age".

As Foggy suggested, let us know what you're working with.

blackelky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it is pre 2011 get the updated driver's side valve cover

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed. In all the LS motors I've owned, I never see more than 1/2 qt in 5k, or no usage at all. Granted 1 was a 2000 model 5.3L, the rest were 2007-09 6.2L, and one 2015 6.0L. My current 2008 6.2L is about a quart down at 5k-ish.......but I have to park it on cardboard because of a stupid RMS leak that I'm loathing to repair.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Edit: Seems I mistyped. It's 4000 miles for the quart.

While better than a quart every 3K, that's still something that needs attention. I see you have info in a signature now. Have you had your '08 since new or do you know the service history? I ask because it could have had updates performed by a previous owner. I'd hope not so that you'd have easy, bolt-on solutions for the oil consumption. Driver side valve covers with a revised PCV baffle were introduced around 2011. There are two versions to accommodate the two styles of PCV connector on the cover itself- the '08-'10 style and '11-'14 style. The revised baffle underneath is the same across all of them. Get the updated one for your '08 LMG. Also, get a catch can. I recommend this one and a stainless steel scouring pad (you'll only need one of these pads). You'll need 6"-8" of flat stock to make a really simple bracket to mount the catch can if you want it near the engine. Or, if attaching to sheet metal, like in the empty "battery" space at the front left corner of the engine bay, you'll need nothing additional other than hoses to connect it. We can discuss the details when you get to that point. I actually have one of these catch cans and intend to write up a how-to with the scouring pad and bracket stuff.

The other contributor to oil in the PCV system is the pressure relief valve for the AFM system. It's in the oil pan. When AFM activates, this valve releases the pressurized oil in a glorious 50 psi mist of tiny oil droplets that ride the rather strong currents of PCV air flow. The droplets add to the oil up top in the driver side valve cover, which gets sucked through the PCV valve and into the intake manifold. The oil puddles up in the back of the manifold then runs down into the rear two cylinders, the majority into #7 where it's burnt during the combustion process. The burnt oil causes carbon to build up in the cylinder and eventually makes the rings stick, causing accelerated wear, more pressure in the crankcase, more oily air in the PCV, etc. and the downward spiral continues.

GM developed a deflector shield to go over the pressure release valve so that the oil isn't allowed to atomize in the spray and it just runs down into the sump. This is one of those $10 parts requiring $300 in labor since it requires removal of the oil pan to install. If it were me, I'd have AFM turned off in the tune (HERE) to disable it to (1) prolong the probably inevitable failure of the AFM system and (2) stop the valve from spraying the oil.

OP
OP
EddieC

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While better than a quart every 3K, that's still something that needs attention. I see you have info in a signature now. Have you had your '08 since new or do you know the service history? I ask because it could have had updates performed by a previous owner. I'd hope not so that you'd have easy, bolt-on solutions for the oil consumption. Driver side valve covers with a revised PCV baffle were introduced around 2011. There are two versions to accommodate the two styles of PCV connector on the cover itself- the '08-'10 style and '11-'14 style. The revised baffle underneath is the same across all of them. Get the updated one for your '08 LMG. Also, get a catch can. I recommend this one and a stainless steel scouring pad (you'll only need one of these pads). You'll need 6"-8" of flat stock to make a really simple bracket to mount the catch can if you want it near the engine. Or, if attaching to sheet metal, like in the empty "battery" space at the front left corner of the engine bay, you'll need nothing additional other than hoses to connect it. We can discuss the details when you get to that point. I actually have one of these catch cans and intend to write up a how-to with the scouring pad and bracket stuff.

The other contributor to oil in the PCV system is the pressure relief valve for the AFM system. It's in the oil pan. When AFM activates, this valve releases the pressurized oil in a glorious 50 psi mist of tiny oil droplets that ride the rather strong currents of PCV air flow. The droplets add to the oil up top in the driver side valve cover, which gets sucked through the PCV valve and into the intake manifold. The oil puddles up in the back of the manifold then runs down into the rear two cylinders, the majority into #7 where it's burnt during the combustion process. The burnt oil causes carbon to build up in the cylinder and eventually makes the rings stick, causing accelerated wear, more pressure in the crankcase, more oily air in the PCV, etc. and the downward spiral continues.

GM developed a deflector shield to go over the pressure release valve so that the oil isn't allowed to atomize in the spray and it just runs down into the sump. This is one of those $10 parts requiring $300 in labor since it requires removal of the oil pan to install. If it were me, I'd have AFM turned off in the tune (HERE) to disable it to (1) prolong the probably inevitable failure of the AFM system and (2) stop the valve from spraying the oil.
Owned since new and all stock and all service is documented.

Regarding the undated replacement valve cover. How does the revised baffle affect oil consumption?

What is the purpose and the "why" of the oil catch can? Is the intention to collect oil before it gets to the valve cover? If that is the case then it is still oil consumption assuming that caught oil is disposed of, no? Am I assuming the wrong function?

What you describe as oil potentially draining into the rear two cylinders from the intake manifold; Might that situation be looked into by looking at the spark plugs and if needed a step further using a scope?

About turning off the AFM, other than effect on gas mileage, are there any other implications of doing that?
I presume that the ECM had to be sent away so there is down time for the truck and possibly worse if the shipments get mishandled or lost. Do you know if there is a "plug in" reprogrammer for DIYers?
Another thought is that our state is a stickler with emissions and routinely checks our vehicles plugging them into inspection station scanners. Do you know if the alteration is picked up as having an impact on emissions? Increasing gas usage might be construed in that manner.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo