What is this?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Freedom Motorsports

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It may be the 4-5 gear solenoid in the tranny, I would have a Tech II put on it and take it for a driving test so they can watch the solenoids in real time and narrow it down that way.

OR, if you happen to have someone around that has an EFI Live V2 and desktop software, etc, they could do the data logging as well, but the Tech II would be at the dealer.

M3PO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does it hold 4th gear when you are cruising faster say 60-70?
If the RPM's fluctuate that much, can you feel the truck surging or speeding up and slowing down?
Maybe put the gear selector in 3rd, and drive at 50mph and remember the exact RPM's. Then put in OD and watch this fluctuation and try to determine if the transmission is really shifting down to 3rd or if the converter is locking and unlocking, or maybe still another problem. Just throwing out ideas, I'm not really sure.

OP
OP
ATL

ATL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have a local friend with hpt, he said hed take a look but he works alot and havent gotten a chance to do that yet.

but yes, it hold the gear fine at high speeds on the hwy and does not surge. yes, you can feel the truck surging with the rpms.

im pretty convinced its either a solenoid or the converter, hell maybe both.

JUST FOR FUTURE REFERRANCE FOR MY TYF FAMILY, THIS IS A MAD DOG STAGE 1 TRANSMISSION. DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM MAD DOG TRANSMISSION BASED OUT OF GEORGIA!!!!

Freedom Motorsports

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It COULD be a throttle issue, it may not be transmission related. But why it would fluctuate THAT much IDK. Maybe the TPS is going out and the signal is sending the rpms up and down? Try this, go get a hair dryer and unplug the plug at the TPS and attempt to dry it and if you want, hit it with some dielectric grease before plugging it back in.

OP
OP
ATL

ATL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have thrown some throttle body codes in the past. but they showed up for like a week after washing my motor. but other than week, no throttle issue in the 2 yrs its been surging. i have a decent little scanner setup, and it does datalog but its not in depth enough to watch the solenoids i dont think

Vinniety

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ATL - are you driving in a straight level rode when it does that or where you giving it more gas and on an incline? It sounds like you have done your research and are looking at it the correct way so im just trying to throw out some thoughts of mine. What about trying cruise control and see what that does. You said you have seen some throttle body codes what about trying to replace the TPS something easy to do and not bad on price or clean out your intake. It might be just at that RPM your truck is sensing a load even if not and telling the tranny to downshift. Good luck and keep us posted.

OP
OP
ATL

ATL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes, this happens on flat rds when holding the certain speed steady. the needle moves back and forth from 1200-1500. when the tach goes up over 2k in video, thats me giving it gas and it downshifting, then when the speed gets steady again, its starts jumping 1200-1500 again. i dont think the throttle is the current problem, although ill look into it some more. when i threw t/b code, i pressure washed the engine and some cennections got wet. it hasnt happened in months.

Freedom Motorsports

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When it is bouncing like that, if the truck isn't actually surging, meaning the engine rpms aren't going up and down at the same time then that is the stepper motor going out.

You MAY have gotten come more water in the harness that made it back to the TB plug, double check and dry it well to rule it out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
D713M