What is this plate on my oil pan???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
I am curious what this plate is on the oil pan of my 5.3L 2008 Suburban LTZ 2WD.

At first I thought it was some kind of inspection plate but from looking at pics of the inside of the oil pan it doesn't appear to have a hole behind it.

So is it some kind of "skid plate" or is it some kind of reinforcement for the cast aluminum pan? Or???

rps20170317_083137.jpg

Just kinda curious if anyone knows.

OP
OP
kbuskill

kbuskill

Reaction score
I'll bet that's a sound dampener.

Good theory.... If it had rubber between it and the pan I could definitely believe that but I have never removed it so I couldn't say for sure.

Can't really imagine having much noise from the pan though.

It would be cool if someone made a heat sink that would bolt up in this location.... Although it probably wouldn't do a whole lot considering the sump is further back.

02Lightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good theory.... If it had rubber between it and the pan I could definitely believe that but I have never removed it so I couldn't say for sure.

Can't really imagine having much noise from the pan though.

It would be cool if someone made a heat sink that would bolt up in this location.... Although it probably wouldn't do a whole lot considering the sump is further back.
It looks similar to a plate that is on top of the blower on my Cadillac. And I know that is for sound deadening.

Brian Wilson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They tucked it over the cross member so it wouldn't accidentally get damaged. Smart move gm

OP
OP
kbuskill

kbuskill

Reaction score
Well, I'm just glad to see that I am not the only one in the dark on this one... Lol

Brian Wilson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do know I took 3 of the bolts out of mine. I thought it might be an access port for the oil pum oring. But no oil came out so I stopped.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BWASTEEZE