What do these connectors go to?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bowtiegurl

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Found these two connectors dangling loosely back by the firewall next to the brake fluid reservoir on a 2007 GMC Yukon Denali 6.2 L. Does anyone know what they are and do they connect to anything? I couldn't find anything they would connect to. TIA20230802_180319.jpg20230802_180417.jpgGridArt_20230802_183252781.jpg

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The big connector is for your long decommissioned heated washer fluid unit. They were recalled early on and the customers given a refund. Between your cigar lighters you will have 4 or 5 buttons, one of them being for this feature. I cannot remember if someone is making them again should you wish to make it work.

Just Fishing

Can't fix stupid
Reaction score
Heated washer unit sounds like a fantastic idea.
If you ever had the standard blue stuff freeze on you, it's a pita trying to deal with that crap during a long drive.

In my wifes car, stopped at walmart, picked up some "winter" windshield cleaner and a turkey baster to suck out as much of the old fluid as possible.
Good news was if you're not moving it would warm up the lines enough from the engine that I could get it pumping through with the new wash.

But I assume the washer nipples and the lines would still freeze up even with the warmer.
:hmmm2:

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heated washer unit sounds like a fantastic idea.
If you ever had the standard blue stuff freeze on you, it's a pita trying to deal with that crap during a long drive.

Had that issue with the washers freezing up on a cross country trip in the winter. (ford expedition rental)
Why would they sell summer blend in the winter? I'm only putting winter blend in no matter the season.
Poured hot coffee on the washer nozzles to defrost them. Got down to -11, and was usually no warmer than 13 degrees.
Snowing all through colorado, nebraska, iowa..

I purchased a hyundai/kia washer heater from ebay but have yet to install it.. Hope it's less likely to have a meltdown than the GM one.
Wonder if the nozzles will still freeze up as you mention.. That's another reason I prefer the hood mounted nozzles,
the lines are in the engine compartment to heat up, not under the cowl and on the wiper arms.
Will retro-fit heated washer nozzles if neccessary. I don't want them to ever freeze up again!

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
It was an amazing feature that was venerable to the fluid leaking through and into the electrics of the device under the hood.

You could push the heated washer button, a message and tone would pop up on the center DIS screen “washer ready” and then by hitting the washer button it would wash the screen for 10-15 second with heated fluid.

A very Cadillac feature that’s still not been implemented on future models.

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting, the hyundai unit looks virtually identical, (made in Korea instead of China..) even has the same looking secondary plug, same shape, but there are no terminals inside. Instructions say start engine and wait 30 seconds and there will be hot fluid so theirs is meant to always heat. I plan to wire the power to a 60-70 amp relay though..

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The big connector is for your long decommissioned heated washer fluid unit. They were recalled early on and the customers given a refund. Between your cigar lighters you will have 4 or 5 buttons, one of them being for this feature. I cannot remember if someone is making them again should you wish to make it work.

After the GM recall, a company called AlphaTherm purchased the rights, fixed the issue and was selling aftermarket retrofit kits. They were on the same street as my office, so I was able to just drop in and easily purchase one.

They've since gone out of business, probably around 2015-2016. But the occasional unit does pop up on eBay from time to time.

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I notice two alphatherm units on ebay.

One is similar to the original (at-38) but does not have the extra connector. Power wires appear to be hardwired. 4/12 manufacture date.

The other unit (LV-HB55) is a slimmer rectangle and also only has power wires. (connector) The description says it will heat 3-4 seconds of spray to 160F and keep it hot. The HB55 version has a 30/15? date so I'm guessing that's a newer design.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrentL9900