What brake pads to go with?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

07 Tahoe

Reaction score
I am sure there may be a post on this but I just got me a set of slotted rotors and I need a set of good brake pads. This is where the thread comes in, tossed between a few sets. I am looking at the Powerstop Evolution z16 ceramic pads, posi-quiet ceramic or Hawk ceramic pads. Not sure what everyone thinks or have tried but would like a few suggestions. Not sure if it makes a difference, my Tahoe is 2 wheel drive, will be lowered 2/3 and has 24's.

Just need a great pad that will be great with slotted rotors and will provide superb stopping and very low dust. Thanks to all that reply.

domin8

Just Plinking
Reaction score
Highland Park, IL. Transplant from SLC, UT to redu
Ceramic is a good choice, and is OE for our trucks. Ceramic cools faster than semi-metallic, organic, etc, which helps pads last longer. I also just installed slotted and drilled rotors and ceramic brake pads on my truck on Friday. Makes a world of difference. I've heard the argument that ceramic pads create more dust. I've also heard the opposite. Personally, I've only seen them reduce brake dust. My wife has Posi-Quiet ceramic pads on her 07 Cobalt SS sedan, which also has slotted and drilled rotors. We haven't noticed much brake dust in the last 3 years. However, if you really want a good pad I recommend going with the Wagner Thermoquiet pads, front pads are QC1092, and rears are QC1194. If you want a real heavy duty pad I just change the first 2 letters in the part number to SX, such as SX1092/SX1194. I believe they're the best ceramic pad you can get. Severe Duty pads are designed to have superior cooling capabilities, but they may also increase brake dust. Also, check the casting number on your front caliper brackets. They'll make a differenc on which pads you get. The casting number is not hard to find. All you have to do is pull the wheel and look at the top/side of the bracket. Most Tahoes/Yukons/etc have the casting number of 285C or 286C.

Last edited:

gmc_z71_95

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I used Hawk pads on the slotted rotors that were on my lifted truck... No problems.

OP
OP

07 Tahoe

Reaction score
I will be going with ceramic for sure and totally left out Wagner and I have used those before.

---------- Post added at 09:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:59 PM ----------

Were they the ceramics and how was the dust? Just want to keep the rims clean and not have the BMW look as I call it because they always have dirty front rims.

08grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the hawk pads in the front and the posy quiet pads in the rear of my denali. The hawk definitely throw more dust but are very quiet and hold nice. The posiquiets squeak the first two or three brakings after truck sits a couple of days.

You will be happy with the hawk pads. Bye I have the high performance street hawks. They will tell you to use the SUV pads but if your an aggressive driver get the hps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadi awais