What are/where to get factory Zw7 rear springs (the Nivomat ones)?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I would like to determine the correct rear springs for my G65/ZW7 05 Tahoe Non Z71 4WD. Last 8 of the VIN is 5J200115. I believe the correct Nivomats shocks are AC Delco 580-354. Is there a better option for front shocks? My only reference point is the bilstein 4600’s. My 05 has 100k, but I am towing a boat with it and if shocks are cheap I may do those too

KYB makes shocks compatible with the ZW7 Premium Smooth Ride. https://www.kyb.com/catalog/ Select your year and other info and see what they have.

Stay away from the low line Excel-G; I have the Gas-A-Just version on the front of my '04, and I think those are the same as what you'd need to replicate the OE ride. You may also want to see if the higher level MonoMax is what you want, but that would change the ride.

EDIT: I think KYB also makes Nivomat equivalent rear shocks, so check that catalog link.

I've towed a 4K lb camping trailer numerous times with mine, and the KYB front shocks are fine; just make sure the tongue weight of your trailer is correct, and use a WDH if needed.

Last edited:

mwilson62000

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If your just looking to replace the possibilty worn G65/ZW7 Springs with OEM equivalent, you can go with:

ACDelco Professional 45H2165​

Currently around $85 a pair online.

I did the same thing on my 03 Tahoe and they kept same ride height and smooth ride. The 45H2164 are the HD (z71) springs that you can use if you remove the Nivomats and need a stiffer spring.

Fjs0001

Reaction score
I have the Bilstein Replacement kit, springs and shocks, for the Nivomats. I'm very happy with it.

Mmiguy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I believe these are ACDelco replacement for front shocks. Also used on my 03 Tahoe with G65/ZW7:

ACDelco GM Original Equipment 540-184​

I’m curious if anyone has changed to the Bilstein 4600 vs this factory shock when pairing with a new set of Nivomats in the rear. Was it an improvement or best to run stock.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I ran the job excel g with the stock ZW7 spring and it was scary at highway speeds. The rear was swaying side to side. I was probably going 65 mph.

Mmiguy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I’m curious if anyone has changed to the Bilstein 4600 vs this factory shock when pairing with a new set of Nivomats in the rear. Was it an improvement or best to run stock.
I do t think I was clear, the 4600’s would be for the front

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I ran the job excel g with the stock ZW7 spring and it was scary at highway speeds. The rear was swaying side to side. I was probably going 65 mph.

The two problems with doing that, @Tonyrodz, were using the Excel-G itself, and pairing a standard shock with the softer ZW7 springs. Doing both at the same time is madness! :)

Last edited:

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
As I read this thread...... My '05 Yukon XL has 160,000 on the clock. But.... the truck is still like 'new'. I bought it with 140,000 miles. It was well taken care of by a one-owner.
I understand the vehicle is heavy. So, I expect it to 'feel' a bit heavy. The suspension seems fine considering the weight? I have the ZW7. I do prefer a good handling ride.
I WISH I could compare a same Yukon suspension that has replaced OEM shocks, to see if my suspension shows age-wear?
I'd like to find out, because I was thinking about up-grading the sway bars, but only if the shocks are still good..... first.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
The two problems with doing that, @Tonyrodz, were using the Excel-G itself, and pairing a standard shock with the softer ZW7 springs. Doing both at the same time is madness! :)
I asked the person I spoke to about that, and he said they were compatible. After that scary ride I called him and he said "For what you paid for the shocks--what did you expect?"!. I swear that's what he said to me! I bought them online from the shock warehouse.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NSTBLFKR43