Water pump help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bluerdg

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Pulled in about an hour ago and noticed I had a sound under the hood that sounded like a helicopter. Popped the hood and immediately noticed a slight wobble on the water pump pulley. Shut her down and took in the groceries. I had all the other cars blocked in the drive so I went out to move it for the anticipated water pump replacement and managed to just get it out of the way before the whole pulley sheared off the weld. Made a hell of a racket but got her shut off with the pulley and belt still in place. I've already been to Advance and back. Seems to be a pretty obvious job, going to replace water pump, thermostat, main drive belt, maybe the fan clutch and any hoses that don't look up to par. It's a 6L 2000 XL 2500 with tow pkg and trans. Any way of knowing which pump I need short of matching the old one. Advance has 2 options one with a 1.8" thermostat port and one with a 2+" port. Figuring it's the 2+ port option since it's got the trans cooler and all but figured I'd check it out.

JochenWoern

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pulled in about an hour ago and noticed I had a sound under the hood that sounded like a helicopter. Popped the hood and immediately noticed a slight wobble on the water pump pulley. Shut her down and took in the groceries. I had all the other cars blocked in the drive so I went out to move it for the anticipated water pump replacement and managed to just get it out of the way before the whole pulley sheared off the weld. Made a hell of a racket but got her shut off with the pulley and belt still in place. I've already been to Advance and back. Seems to be a pretty obvious job, going to replace water pump, thermostat, main drive belt, maybe the fan clutch and any hoses that don't look up to par. It's a 6L 2000 XL 2500 with tow pkg and trans. Any way of knowing which pump I need short of matching the old one. Advance has 2 options one with a 1.8" thermostat port and one with a 2+" port. Figuring it's the 2+ port option since it's got the trans cooler and all but figured I'd check it out.

My water pump was diagnosed as a "Leaker" as well today.

At least you made it home in time and did not have to deal with a tow truck.

shofzr

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Can't help with the size, like you said just match it,
This water pump is so easy to change on these trucks, I replaced it on my 06 Escalade in a little over 45 minutes.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Bluerdg

Bluerdg

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I watched a quick video on the job and had everything pulled and laid out in a little over an hour. Took the WP with me to match up. Clerk at Advance pulled all three pumps they had listed for the 6.0L 1 New Aftermarket (no port size indicated) 1 GM rebuilt (2"+ thermostat port) 1 GM rebuilt (1.8" thermostat port) port size as specified by part number provided on their listing. They all looked the same and after inspection and measuring we found that the ports were all the same size. I opted for the polished GM rebuild with the 2" port and saving 15.00 over an identical pump in a box labeled as a 1.8" port and 36.00 over a poorly cast new aftermarket pump. Just FYI, if you ever have to perform this job, take the parts you want with you. I replaced Thermostat, Drive belt, lower radiator hose as well and all but the radiator hose had more than one option. Some thermostat housings have an o-ring slot and the drive belt is different depending on output rating of the Alternator.

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ive heard alotta people have issues getting the fan clutch off when changing out the water pump also
just take small sledge hammer and a large adjustable wrench i mean one you would use both hands with
stick in on that bolt behind the fan give the wrench a good wack with hammer and it will break that bolt lose in one wack

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trackman