Water Leak '05 Yukon XL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lord Snax

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Howdy All,

I have a '05 Yukon XL with the 5.3L and it has a coolant leak. It took me forever to find it, but eventually I did, and its leaking from behind the water pump.

I was wondering if anyone knows of any common failure points on the water pumps for the 5.3L engines? I am unsure as to whether the leak is from bad gaskets or a cracked water pump housing.

Any ideas before I pull out the water pump?

Thanks,
Lord Snax

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The thermostat housing is a real pain. You have to make sure all mating surfaces are clean. Then you will need to use Permatex thermostat housing gasket maker. I had a water leak here ( check your leak in case it's leaking from the thermstat only). I tried with an OEM thermostat and gasket and it still leaked. The gasket maker worked, but you must follow the instructions exactly.

OP
OP
Lord Snax

Lord Snax

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

I have never had the water pump off before, but I can't imagine it will be as a big of a pain as the 6.6L Zuzu (Duramax) water pumps. But is it common for the gaskets to fail on these water pumps?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boromircalantir