Wanting BB tune, but have many questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schwabotage

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm almost 99% sure that I'm going to be buying a BB tune within the next month or so, however I have several questions first.

I have a 2002 Tahoe with a 5.3L, 104,000 on the odometer, about what can I expect as far as mpg is concerned? Also, I'm not much for wanting to brag hp numbers, but what kind of increases will it provide as far as hp and torque is concerned?

I've looked at the website and have figured out that a traditional tune is going to run around $300 up front with $100 credited back after a core return (I think that's correct) I know the data-logging tune costs more, but what would my cost be upfront and after it's all said and done? (Not totally sure if I want to keep my stock module or not yet)

Some members have questions about 87 vs 89 octane fuel. I'm assuming that the 89 octane fuel that you refer to when you tune isn't the 10% Ethanol stuff we have in my area? I've noticed most members comment that it's 10 cents higher than 87 in there area, but in my area it's 10 cents cheaper. So if it is the Ethanol stuff, that'd be great! :) lol Is there a big difference between 87 or 89 octane tunes? Premium is out of the question for me as I only have one station locally that offers it.

One last question...I read the cold air intake results post and was wondering what the price of the airaid jr. kit (P/N 200-912 for my vehicle I think) is through you guys. My zip is 69001.

THANKS IN ADVANCE for answering my questions. I hope I didn't ask any questions that have already been answered elsewhere. Looking forward to hearing from you! :)

Sorry if this seems directed mostly towards BBP. I meant for it to be a general inquiry for everybody lol

Last edited:

JennaBear

Resident Ninja
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
With that engine, we have seen anywhere from 15-30HP and 1-2MPG increases. That will vary based on engine, driver, mods, and gas (octane and quality).

You are correct on the traditional, $200 after you turn your stock PCM back in. You will need to find someone to do the crank relearn for you (~$50-100).

Scan cable is $300 (after you return PCM and cable). The scan cable deposit is $250. You can perform the crank relearn on your own, negating that extra cost.

We recommend 89 over 87 no matter ethanol content.

OP
OP
S

Schwabotage

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Awesome, thanks for the fast reply! :) How much difference does it make to do the scan cable method over the traditional?

JennaBear

Resident Ninja
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The scan cable can further dial in the tune, as it will be built off of datalogs. A few more ponies can usually be eeked out, and we can see if there are any problems that stand out mechanically.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chiefable