Vibration/Front End Issues with RCX 2-3" Lift...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blown3ur

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Would like some help regarding this issue i've been facing since installing RCX's 2-3" lift, i noticed a very faint vibration, most apparent at low speeds (rush hour speeds if you will). When you speed up to reach 70-75MPH and let of the throttle, you can sense a faint shudder coming from the driveline for a split second, and when you get back onto the throttle, the shutter is felt for a split second and the vibration kicks in again.

I tried aligning, rechecking the diff-drop location, inspecting the D/S, CV boots and angle, all seemed fine so i ignored it.

Come last weekend, i took the truck to the dunes for the first time and wheeled it quite hard (Nothing out of the norm, my landcruiser does this every weekend almost with no issues), but i felt the Tahoe didn't fare too well.

When done, i reinflated the tires and drove back home. I noticed when i take a left turn (roundabout or an exit), i hear a chatter from the front driver side wheel, and i can breifly sense the wheel rocking up and down. The symptoms seemed to be related to an axle issue or a damaged wheel bearing.. Brought the truck back home, tore into the it and inspected everything, all seemed okay. The DS axle was however drenched in oil along with the inner CV boot. I cleaned it all up, installed it back on.

Now the only thing i found peculiar was when i turn the passenger side axle, the diff turns freely and smoothly, when i turn the driver side, it initially turns freely and then all of a sudden gets harder and sometime even starts moving the passenger side axle along in the opposite direction as if 4wd is engaged, and then goes back to turning freely.

I searched long and hard for any of the symptoms i am getting with no luck. This all happened after the lift was installed and i am now all out in the dark. I do not know what needs to be done to solve this but it is getting damn irritating.

My apologies for a super long post, i was just trying to be as detailed as possible.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Moe

Last edited:

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
If the the right wheel spins when turning the left then either the engagement collar or plunger is stuck on or being commanded on. Does the front drive shaft front the t-case move at all at the same time? Even if you move it manually? When 4wd is completely disengaged the right wheel has no physical connection to the differential where as the diffy is connected to the left shaft and drive shaft at all times. BTW, how many push-button functions do you have on you 4wd switch or is it a manual shifter? Finally exactly what was the oil you found?

nimrodcs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Found out yesterday that the vibration problem on my front drivers side is caused by the output shaft coming from the differential. I can grab the flange that the CV half-shaft bolts to and wobble it around a good 1/2" in every direction. Don't know what caused it, or if it's even fixable without replacing the whole axle assembly. All I know is that I will be in 2wd all winter.

I searched everywhere for help on this, didn't find anything really useful. Although my 'Hoe is a NBS, maybe the OP can check for this on his truck.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
Found out yesterday that the vibration problem on my front drivers side is caused by the output shaft coming from the differential. I can grab the flange that the CV half-shaft bolts to and wobble it around a good 1/2" in every direction. Don't know what caused it, or if it's even fixable without replacing the whole axle assembly. All I know is that I will be in 2wd all winter.

I searched everywhere for help on this, didn't find anything really useful. Although my 'Hoe is a NBS, maybe the OP can check for this on his truck.

Replace the output shaft bearing for that side but strongly suggest you make sure the diffy is not moving around either or you could have a sudden meltdown. Output shaft bearing is accessible from outside of case.

nimrodcs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replace the output shaft bearing for that side but strongly suggest you make sure the diffy is not moving around either or you could have a sudden meltdown. Output shaft bearing is accessible from outside of case.

Pretty sure the diff isn't moving around. The other side fine, nice and tight. How do you suggest to remove the output shaft bearing? Slide hammer/bearing attachment?

OP
OP
Blown3ur

Blown3ur

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If the the right wheel spins when turning the left then either the engagement collar or plunger is stuck on or being commanded on. Does the front drive shaft front the t-case move at all at the same time? Even if you move it manually? When 4wd is completely disengaged the right wheel has no physical connection to the differential where as the diffy is connected to the left shaft and drive shaft at all times. BTW, how many push-button functions do you have on you 4wd switch or is it a manual shifter? Finally exactly what was the oil you found?

I do not believe the engagement collar has anything to do with the issue since thats the first thing i thought of and rulled out. The DS does not move and center diff operates as it should.. I even tried rotating the from D/S alone nothing happened. The issue seems to be coming from the differential itself; along the lines of what nimrodcs is facing.

To answer your questions:-

1. I have 3 4wd buttons 2wd, 4hi, and 4lo.. No Autotrac.

2. The oil seemed to be in good state, its clean, smells normal and viscosity seems okay. Now having said that, i am considering changing oil in all 3 diffs anyway as cheap insurance.

NIMRODCS; To be honest i did not try tiliting the flange about.. I just rotated it back and forth and noticed the alternating friction.. I do need to try that though since it makes most sense since i've almost rulled out any external failure. I believe the issue is in the front diff..

Maybe time for 4.56 gears and 35s :D

OP
OP
Blown3ur

Blown3ur

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Excuse my manners.. I just noticed i never posted pics of the new truck! :sorrysign:

First 3 was the ad before i picked it up.. The last two are after the damage started :p

Attachments

• IMG_2473.jpg
    IMG_2473.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2475.jpg
    IMG_2475.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2478.jpg
    IMG_2478.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20141218_025612.jpg
    IMG_20141218_025612.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20141218_235347.jpg
    IMG_20141218_235347.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 8

nimrodcs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice 2-door rig man! That lift looks great on it. Hope you figure out your problem soon. I should be tearing into mine in a few hours. If I come across anything groundbreaking, I'll let you know. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kootamcgrabbin24