Valve cover identification

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

S_wall98

Reaction score
Chasing down an oil leak or leaks on a 2008 Yukon Denali. The oil pan gasket is leaking and possibly the drivers side valve cover.
I know there was a tsb on the valve cover. Without removing it, can I tell if its been replaced? Did the part number change?
The previously owner didn't change it but I don't know about the original owner.
Thanks

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Chasing down an oil leak or leaks on a 2008 Yukon Denali. The oil pan gasket is leaking and possibly the drivers side valve cover.
I know there was a tsb on the valve cover. Without removing it, can I tell if its been replaced? Did the part number change?
The previously owner didn't change it but I don't know about the original owner.
Thanks

I 'think' I've concluded that the only way to tell from the outward appearance is the updated design has a longer PCV nipple than the older design.

image.jpg

OP
OP
S

S_wall98

Reaction score
Thanks iamdub!
Do you know if it even applies to the early 6.2s without AFM?
That's where I'm getting confused. 2007s had oil consumption issues but I think they were fixed in 2008, then in 2009 they started AFM. I dunno
It doesn't seem too be burning much oil but I thought it might be worth looking into while I have it down to replace the oil pan gasket.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks iamdub!
Do you know if it even applies to the early 6.2s without AFM?
That's where I'm getting confused. 2007s had oil consumption issues but I think they were fixed in 2008, then in 2009 they started AFM. I dunno
It doesn't seem too be burning much oil but I thought it might be worth looking into while I have it down to replace the oil pan gasket.

AFM (and all of it's accompanying issues) started in '07. The revised valve cover was implemented February 1, 2011. I don't see why the valve cover wouldn't work on the 6.2 since the heads are the same body.

OP
OP
S

S_wall98

Reaction score
AFM (and all of it's accompanying issues) started in '07. The revised valve cover was implemented February 1, 2011. I don't see why the valve cover wouldn't work on the 6.2 since the heads are the same body.

Actually GM started AFM in 2007 but not in the 6.2l until 2009 (or maybe 2010)

That being said, I've seen people comment about newer valve covers or aftermarket ones fixing some oil consumption issues on engines prior to AFM as well.
I dunno
I'll check that nipple though and go from there.
Thanks man

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually GM started AFM in 2007 but not in the 6.2l until 2009 (or maybe 2010)

That being said, I've seen people comment about newer valve covers or aftermarket ones fixing some oil consumption issues on engines prior to AFM as well.
I dunno
I'll check that nipple though and go from there.
Thanks man

Correct. I didn't catch that you meant the 6.2 specifically.

I'd update the valve cover if it hasn't been done already and add a catch can. Compare the spark plugs, particularly from cylinders #1 and #7 to the rest (replace if worn/damaged) and run a few cycles of upper-end engine cleaner.

OP
OP
S

S_wall98

Reaction score
Correct. I didn't catch that you meant the 6.2 specifically.

I'd update the valve cover if it hasn't been done already and add a catch can. Compare the spark plugs, particularly from cylinders #1 and #7 to the rest (replace if worn/damaged) and run a few cycles of upper-end engine cleaner.

Normally id agree (and still might) but this thing has 314,*** miles on it. To my and the previous owners knowledge, nothing had been touched on the engine. I don't think I need to get too agressive.
I'm curious about the catch can though. Never heard anything about them (knew about them but they weren't needed) until I got on these GM boards.
GM issues smh

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Normally id agree (and still might) but this thing has 314,*** miles on it. To my and the previous owners knowledge, nothing had been touched on the engine. I don't think I need to get too agressive.
I'm curious about the catch can though. Never heard anything about them (knew about them but they weren't needed) until I got on these GM boards.
GM issues smh

Oh wow. I was thinking this thing had maybe half that mileage at most. I suggested the top end cleaner to help de-carbonize the combustion chambers since it's been burning oil. Even if most of your oil loss is from external leaks, these engines still consume/burn at least a small amount. I guess, to be more thorough, you'd wanna fix the external leaks first then closely monitor the oil level. If it still drops, then it's consuming it and probably has for some time. Yes, because of the design of the LS's PCV system, they all consume oil and this is why catch cans are always mentioned. Some consume very little and some guzzle a quart every 1,000 miles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meandmyhoe20