Vacuum pump swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Norvell57

Reaction score
Turns out the vacuum pump went out which has caused the brakes to go to crap. Has anybody swapped one of these out? How hard is it? Dealer wants $600 for part and labor. Is this something that can be done in the garage? If anybody has instructions please send me a link I cannot find anything online..

IMG_20161011_123336.jpg

Mattwth85

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
same thing with mine, i am thinking of just capping off the hose on the pump, and running an electric pump on it, like the pump you would use on a hot rod with a loping cam!!!!

Kinneyj14

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm actually in the process of replacing the vacuum pump now. It took me all weekend to find the parts online. Just waiting for them to come in now. My Tahoe had a problem braking at slow speeds(2-5mph). That's parts cost me about 150 altogether.

Vimes

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Howdy - found this forum while trying to figure out what the third belt was driving. How bad was the braking with the pump not working? I'm debating removing it and replacing it with a vacuum canister. The less the engine has to drive the better, in my opinion.

Last edited: