** UPDATE ** Purchase, Wreck, Fixed, Mods - PIC HEAVY

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tomsquad418

Full Access Member
Reaction score
** Giving you all a little update and looking for some advice **

Initial Review

Purchased a 2015 Tahoe LTZ with 24,*** miles. Absolutely love it. Grey with black interior.

Everything works great!
Ride is a bit rougher than expected but tires are probably over inflated ~about 37 psi around the whole truck.

I did not realize the 2015 models and newer 2016/2017s differed at the time when I was purchasing the vehicle ~ options I am missing and would have liked to had -> HUD Display, Keep Lane Assist, Adaptive Cruise Control (I thought all LTZs came with this) Apple Carplay, Electric Side Steps.

Electronic Interest

Does anyone know if it is possible to add in the FACTORY HUD Display units and Apple Carplay to the existing radio?
- I know for the HUD I would need to buy the projector, buttons, most likely a new windshield, and instrument cluster. Has anyone done this? Can it even be done? Is it worth it?

Is there an update where Carplay can be added?

Wreck/ Current Mods
I was on the way to work and an old man decided he would turn left across three lanes of traffic into a parking lot. Needless to say I t ***** him and you can see the damage from the pictures. I don't know what made him turn or if he just did't see me but luckily his insurance covered the wreck. If he had punched it he would of most likely made it into the lot and I would have missed him.

Anyway I took my vehicle to a Chevrolet dealer to have the repairs done and it roughly took about a month and a half! Ridiculous! However, I wanted everything done right and replaced with OEM parts. The front bumper and all plastics had to be replaced and repainted, new left headlight installed, mounts, frame rails, and impact bar all had to be replaced. After, the hood, fender, and door had to be refinished and painted. While it was in the shop I had tow hooks installed and the PPV Deflector installed all while they were repairing the car! Pictures are below.

- I am not sure how I feel about the tow hooks? What do yall think? I am debating going back to the original plastic valence.
- I think I like the PPV deflector and will leave this. It makes the car look much more level and higher. Pictures don't do it justice.
- What are yalls thoughts?

Future Mods

Suspension
Suspension Maxx 2.5/1" Leveling Kit -> Going with 1" in the rear because I don't want it to sit higher in the back.

Tires -> Have been debating between 295/65/20, 285/65/20, and 305/55/20 sizes.]
I have decided on the 305/55/20 size because I don't want something too huge, want to fit in parking decks (as I am located in ATL, GA), don't want to crush my MPG. Not looking for a huge lifted look but want a mild leveling look with a stuffed tire.
Brands
- BFG A/T KO2 60.7lbs -> Most expensive of the options
- Nitto Terra Grappler G2 50.53/ 60.19lbs (XL/E) -> The XL load range weighs substantially less which is attractive, is there a difference between the two besides weight? Tread Depth?
- Toyo Open Country A/T 2 62lbs -> Probably my favorite tire looks wise but it is a heavier option
- Mickey Thompson A/T 63bs -> Largest spec wise of the options

Any reviews or insight on these? Anyone running them past or present? They all roughly measure 33.2 x 12.4. I am open to other sizes and what people have to say. Would running an XL that's 50lbs make much of a difference fuel economy wise to a tire that's 62lbs?

I created an excel template of almost all tires with their specs if anyone is interested in it.

I am going to run the stock 20s. Will I need to run wheel spacers?

Side Steps
I found a good deal on some side steps off of a 2015 Escalade. Are the side steps supposed to be colored matched to the vehicle or is it just a chrome strip below? The steps should come with brackets, motors, and steps? Is there anything else that is needed in order to get these to work? Computer programming or anything like that? Are they plug and play and will fit on a Tahoe? Would I just wire them to when the doors open and close or is it more involved?

Other
Tint? Debating on tinting the front two windows

Tune -> I plan to add a BB tune in order to compensate for better shift points, less stress on the tranny, and better fuel economy. Any insight on this? Can I go ahead and get a BB Tune with the factory warranty or do I need to wait for the warranty to end?

Service
I am about up for the 30k service. The dealer tried to recommend a $900 service.
What ACTUALLY needs to be done? Cabin filters, oil, tire rotation, ect?

IMG_0351.JPG IMG_0502 (1).JPG IMG_0518 (1).JPG IMG_0514 (1).JPG IMG_0512 (2).JPG

Dooba

Reaction score
The car looks better after the wreck with all the repairs done to it than before the accident haha.

Looks like GM did a good job fixing it!

OP
OP
T

tomsquad418

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have the part # for the front valence. Looking for the original part that replaces where the towhooks are...thinking I want to go back to stock or does anyone have one they are looking to get rid of?

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tell your dealer to show you in the owners manual all the upsale crap they are trying to sell you for maintenance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laurents10