Ugh, did I screw up my transmission fixing a pan leak?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zeus3k

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
All, I have a 2001 Yukon XL with 4I60E transmission. I did a complete transmission flush about 5k miles ago and the truck has been doing great. The only issue was an oil leak from the pan. I finally decided to go at the leak and lowered the pan. I couldn't get the pan completely off, but was able to unbolt shift linkage, and move pan enough to replace the gasket. I reassembled everything, but now the truck won't go in reverse, and when in drive it has a hard time shifting into second. What did I do? It was working well before and immediate after, it's not. I'm wondering if something got damaged when I was moving the pan back and forth trying to get it off. Shift linkage looks good. Anyone have any suggestions on what I should look at? Some online videos suggest checking fuses, but all of the Ignition 10A fuses look good. Also of note, I did replace some of the transmission fluid again.

OP
OP
Z

Zeus3k

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I appreciate all the help all! I verified that both the truck and transmission are in park. I also tried to see if there were any other adjustments, but nothing. Now the transmission won't engage at all. Not even in Drive. The dashboard does indicate me shifting through the positions as I move the shifter. I put a camera under the truck as I shifted and it looked correct. No computer codes. Anything else I can check? I was going to upload video of the shifter linkage going through the various points, but it says file is too large.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I appreciate all the help all! I verified that both the truck and transmission are in park. I also tried to see if there were any other adjustments, but nothing. Now the transmission won't engage at all. Not even in Drive. The dashboard does indicate me shifting through the positions as I move the shifter. I put a camera under the truck as I shifted and it looked correct. No computer codes. Anything else I can check? I was going to upload video of the shifter linkage going through the various points, but it says file is too large.

TYF can't host video. You need to put it on YouTube or another host site, and post a link to it in your thread.

Blackcar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sliding pan around trying to work gasket in may have pulled a servo wire or broke connector. You didn't have problem until working on transmission.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sliding pan around trying to work gasket in may have pulled a servo wire or broke connector. You didn't have problem until working on transmission.
Servos dont have wires. They are 100% hydraulically operated. Shift solenoids do however have wiring but unlikely to have done anything to them by just moving around the pan.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia

Latest posts