Tuners help!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Spooner

Reaction score
I have been tuning cars for years and have a pretty good grasp on it. The other day I was bored so I decided to tune the Tahoe again, completely start over. I spent 2 days on it and it was running incredible. The only problem was it kept throwing P0332 and P0327 codes, which are Knock Sensor Circuit Low Voltage, and Knock Sensor 2 Circuit Low Input. I cleared the codes and it came back 2 more times. I put the stock tune back and it hasnt come back yet. What would I have tuned that mechanically inables the knock sensors? The only thing I did was desensitize them a little to where they didnt pull as much timing when they were triggered. Any and all help is appreciated!

P.S.
Im using HPTuners.

Adam

ypsetihw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you prolly aren't using high enough octane gas for your tune - hence at stock trims it runs fine, but when you up the tune (i.e. timing and a/f ratio) a higher octane is required to prevent knock

you see this all the time on turbo cars and whatnot - you need to have higher octane gas when you start running high pressure and lots of timing advance or the fuel will just blow up on its own from heat and pressure and then . . . BINGO knock sensor code

too often I see people running crappy gas and wondering why they have no power? most econo octane gas in the US is 87 octane, and here at high altitudes in the western mountain states, even 85 is the regular! this gas is simply not stable enough to prevent knock under high load on these large displacement powerhouses - these engines can definitely see a power and mpg gain immediately simply by running even mid grade gas (89-91 depending on locale), and if you want peak output, fuel is one key element

OP
OP
Spooner

Spooner

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I was thinking I might be running to HIGH of octane. I run 93 all the time but I added a half of can (16oz) of racing fuel concentrate that I run in my turbo RX8. I didnt tune on the can, just added it to take some datalogs on it. With that much mixture, I should be at approx 96 octane. This is NOT one of those fuel additives that you buy at Auto Zone. I special order this from Torco racing fuels, for $30 a can. I can religiously run at least 5 degrees more timing than I can on stock gas. I love it. Im wondering if my timing is too low for this octane. I only added 4 degrees over stock.

ypsetihw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hmm if you already have good gas in there, then you could be losing one of your knock sensors. I just replaced one on my jetta for the same code. they did all this other work and the code kept coming back. then they replaced the knock sensor and all was well.

OP
OP
Spooner

Spooner

Reaction score
That was my next plan of action but its just weird that with the stock tune put back on it, it hasnt come back yet. Im just gonna throw a damn carb on this *****!! Lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redoak76

Latest posts