Truck won't start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Caddarick

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 96 1500 within the last year I have replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter, plugs, wires, air filter, cap and rotor. My truck does not want to start when it has been sitting especially in cold or rainy weather she just cranks and cranks and wont start i have also put in a new battery 3 weeks ago. Usualy when weather is warmer it will turn on no prob and the runs and drives perfectly fine but when she sits for a few days and it gets cold its a pain in the butt. It started yesterday just fine i gave some one a jump parked it and jumped in the little car and went to work tried this morning cause of the rain wanted to drive it and wont start im at a loss. I was thinkig a fuel delivery issue but dont know what or maybe water is getting somewhere it shouldnt but again i dont know. Please help i thank everyone in advance.

YukonandtheHOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whats your fuel pressure like?, when it does run do you have a check engine light?

OP
OP
C

Caddarick

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have to go back and check if I recall it was around during 50 and when the truck run some she runs great smooth idle no lights. I looked into the butterfly in the throttle body and it looked like there was a wet spot in the mail if old not sure if that's normal or not I am not a mechanical guru.

YukonandtheHOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check it for codes. Maybe it would be worth it to have someone pull the upper intake and have a look, maybe change the fuel spider just for drill if its the Poppet style. Do you have any history on the truck other then the major tune up? Has the Distributor been changed yet?

OP
OP
C

Caddarick

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I fixed it it replaced the cap and rotor the cap points were corroded and it was not getting a full spark to the engine guess I have to be more careful with splashing into puddles.

20161224_175703.jpg

20161224_175717.jpg

retiredsparky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does the coil wire boot seat tightly on both the distributor and the coil? Your problem sounds like some kind of electrical issue that is affected by either temp or moisture.

A remote possibility could be ignition switch. Starter spinning does not mean voltage is getting to the coil. When you have time, you could hook up a multimeter to the +connection to the coil and see if battery voltage is there.

The pickup in the distributor or the coil may be going bad, although usually they are affected by heat not the other way around.

The neutral safety switch is not the problem since the starter cranks.

You could check battery voltage while cranking the engine, although the ignition does not need much juice to spark the plugs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019