Transmission to oil pan bolts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

afpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I read a few of the threads regarding oil pan removal for replacing the gasket or getting to the pickup tube. Had mine done at a shop since I work two jobs now, and I noticed that the lower bolts that snug up the transmission housing to the oil pan or not engaged. There's also a slight oil accumulation just below the inspection plate. Are the two related? I thought the bolts were just holders and not really having anything to do with the sealing of oil but I am not 100% sure of the relationship there. I figured the most important was using the proper gasket and the sealant at the corners but I don't think this includes where the transmission housing meets to it?

Appreciate any info as always, sure wish I could have tackled this myself. Quality control just does not exist unless you do it yourself

IMG_20200216_125432.jpg

Mechanic421

06 Denali XL
Reaction score
Just lower bell bolts . Did they replace rear engine plate? If not that is probably your leak. Probably want to take it back and have them make sure no other bolts were left loose!

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
Quality control just does not exist unless you do it yourself
That's the ******* truth

I'd take it back and demand it be redone tbh. There's a pretty specific procedure that involves walking bolts back and forth to get everything to sit in right. There are angled cuts in the pan and bellhousing for alignment. Trying to tighten them at this point, best case, would shift the oil pan and be likely to ****** up the seal. And worst case, crack your bellhousing or oil pan.

And the fact that it's leaking too.....

Re-do it or push for money back and take it to someone that knows their ass from their elbow. Well, that assumes the leak is coming from the pan and not rear main / rear cover / drip down from higher.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What he said^^^^. Go back and make them redo it. I guarantee you they didn’t follow the torque sequence for the pan bolts. Idiots.

mike214

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi all, I read a few of the threads regarding oil pan removal for replacing the gasket or getting to the pickup tube. Had mine done at a shop since I work two jobs now, and I noticed that the lower bolts that snug up the transmission housing to the oil pan or not engaged. There's also a slight oil accumulation just below the inspection plate. Are the two related? I thought the bolts were just holders and not really having anything to do with the sealing of oil but I am not 100% sure of the relationship there. I figured the most important was using the proper gasket and the sealant at the corners but I don't think this includes where the transmission housing meets to it?

Appreciate any info as always, sure wish I could have tackled this myself. Quality control just does not exist unless you do it yourself

View attachment 240700
What size are those bolts?

OP
OP
afpj

afpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Iirc M10X1.2X45. Shop tightened them up, and knock on wood, been doing ok since, but looking for another shop for 3 years now. So many negative reviews on nearly every shop around town.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luggz